OBS F350 Mirrors. . .SHAKE too much

Cannon

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I recently bought new mirrors for my truck since the previous mirrors were old, rusted and ugly. I don't have any issues other than the HUGE blind spot (I can deal) and that they shake at highway speeds. It's annoying to have such a nice truck and the damn mirror's shake.

My question to all the OBS experts is; will the tripod(rectangular) mirror head bolt up to my 97 swing arm and for those of that have the tripod mirrors, do they shake? Where did you buy them? I've checked LMC but their price is a little too much for what the mirror consists of, IMO.

I've attached a picture of the mirror head I'm inquiring about.

a7uhypu9.jpg

And one of my BAMF! It's the middle one. The small one. ;)

6y4ena6u.jpg

Last edited:

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I recently bought new mirrors for my truck since the previous mirrors were old, rusted and ugly. I don't have any issues other than the HUGE blind spot (I can deal) and that they shake at highway speeds. It's annoying to have such a nice truck and the damn mirror's shake.

My question to all the OBS experts is; will the tripod(rectangular) mirror head bolt up to my 97 swing arm and for those of that have the tripod mirrors, do they shake? Where did you buy them? I've checked LMC but their price is a little too much for what the mirror consists of, IMO.

I've attached a picture of the mirror head I'm inquiring about.

a7uhypu9.jpg

And one of my BAMF! It's the middle one. The small one. ;)

6y4ena6u.jpg

if youre talking abou the mirror pictured , replacing the one on your truck, with the same mounting then yes it will still shake. If you are talking about changing the whole mount to the big gawdy "tow mirrors" by drilling holes in your door , no they wont shake... I would be more inclined to just replace the wing window with some 08+ mirrors and be done with it. but that's just me

Cannon

Reaction score
if youre talking abou the mirror pictured , replacing the one on your truck, with the same mounting then yes it will still shake. If you are talking about changing the whole mount to the big gawdy "tow mirrors" by drilling holes in your door , no they wont shake... I would be more inclined to just replace the wing window with some 08+ mirrors and be done with it. but that's just me

I've read 08+ mirrors shake as well. It's not the swing arm, it's the mirror itself. My new mirrors have a small weatherstripping piece that catches wind when I'm on the highway. The tripod mirror head doesn't have a lip to catch wind, that's what lead me to believe the tripod mirrors will not shake.

Semper FI, yut, kill, motivate. . .

Redpower

Reaction score

I 've never added them to a truck, but my 97 F-350 came from the factory with them and they don't shake at all. They are not the coolest mirrors to look at, but I love them for towing. Did you drill the lower hole in the door to mount them? If not, I'd bet your problem lies there....

Bugman

Reaction score
I believe that if they are from the factory that they have a backing plate inside of the door to give them stability. I know that if you just drill them and insert the anchor that they will shake quite a bit.

I placed the A frame mirrors on my 84 taking off the sport mirrors and they would shake whenever I got over 50 mph and it didn't have a support inside the door.

Cannon

Reaction score
My truck came with the swing arm type mirrors. So I'm sure they're reinforced since my old mirrors did not shake. It's the mirror head that vibrates a little. That's why I just want to change the mirror head and not the stock swing arm. So basically I'll have stock mirrors with tripod mirror heads.

Semper FI, yut, kill, motivate. . .

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I have no complaints with my "big gawdy tow mirrors"

I 've never added them to a truck, but my 97 F-350 came from the factory with them and they don't shake at all. They are not the coolest mirrors to look at, but I love them for towing. Did you drill the lower hole in the door to mount them? If not, I'd bet your problem lies there....

think you need to re read what I wrote...

the big gawdy ones don't shake, so if you don't mind drilling a hole in the door and don't mind looking at them, they would work.

I don't like the way they look that's just me tho.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
think you need to re read what I wrote...

the big gawdy ones don't shake, so if you don't mind drilling a hole in the door and don't mind looking at them, they would work.

I don't like the way they look that's just me tho.
I understood what you said, I was just adding my 2 cents for the OP that the big mirrors work just fine for me. Yes mine are factory so they have the bracing inside the door, otherwise they would shake like mad I'm sure.
It took them a while to grow on me, my 96 had the west coast, swing arm, whatever you want to call them style on it and I thought for a while about swapping them onto my 97 but I got used to the big azz mirrors and now I like them. The biggest drawback to them, IMO, is the rust around the lower mounting points that is almost inevitable.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.