OBS what do you recommend to do next?

vrog

Reaction score
I have a 1997 f250 crew cab short bed that is my dream truck of all OBS. I just installed mbrp 3" down pipe and 4" exhaust. I have my trusty 15 year old superchips programmer and AFE intake.

What should I do next if anything or quit while I'm ahead? Not sure if doing injectors will start a slippery slope and keep throwing money at it. Thanks

ncollins64

Reaction score
Miles? I'd say some custom tunes, up pipes, and a clutch or valve body. Any oil leaks or anything? Maybe a ccv reroute to keep oil out of the turbo and intake.

vrog

Reaction score
Truck has 140k on it. Leaks a drop of oil about the size of a eraser on a pencil. Maybe even smaller. Very minor.

ncollins64

Reaction score
So nothing major, that's good. I did all of the obove with my obs when I got it as well as new glow plugs and relay and new full force stage 1s. It runs really smooth and plenty of power for a work truck. I've since did a lot more but I was very pleased with that simple setup

vrog

Reaction score
So nothing major, that's good. I did all of the obove with my obs when I got it as well as new glow plugs and relay and new full force stage 1s. It runs really smooth and plenty of power for a work truck. I've since did a lot more but I was very pleased with that simple setup

Part of me thinks I should just stop and go through the truck for general maintenance stuff

79jasper

Reaction score
That's where I would start. Then throw that Superchips in the trash and get a hydra.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

vrog

Reaction score
Mine had a lot of oil leaks so we pulled it and resealed everything and did general maint. Better safe than sorry

I love these OBS trucks. Amazing how many people wanna talk your ear off about them when getting fuel

ncollins64

Reaction score
True that. I always wanted a reg cab 350 4wd. I got it and sunk a lot of money in it but now it's super reliable and fun and I love the classic lines. And what he^^ said, get a hydra with custom tunes. You will love it and your truck will to

jngreen

Reaction score
Why throw away the superchips if he is staying with stock injectors? I wouldn't say it's necessary to change until he changes injectors.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Because custom tunes is better than any can tuner on these trucks. Its better on the trans, power, mpg , driveability etc. then if and when he ever does more mods then he can easily change tunes.

Last edited:

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
If you're in it for the long haul, do an 05+ axle swap including the steering box. It's amazing how well you can make an OBS drive with that swap.

vrog

Reaction score
Superchips adds to the nostalgia LOL!! I will look into this hydra

I already went down this road with the wheels, tires and suspension. Talk about a project. Wanted to do the dana 60 and PMF RSK but by the time I was done it was just too much to justify. Add in the wheels and tires that I wanted and I was pushing just over $7k! So I ended up talking myself out of it and I'm in the process of going with a ****ty lift and cheap wheels and tires

I went with the 4" rough country, yeah I know its not going to ride as good as dana 60 and PMF. Its a truck, it is what it is. If I want comfort I will drive my 14 Platinum F450. This is just a bang around truck so it should be fine. I scored some true forged weld wheels with nitto terra grapplers.

I wanted to give it a little attention without putting it out of peoples reach when it get bored with it and want to sell it.

idshred

Reaction score
Is the 7k minus the cost of wheels are tires paying someone else to do it? I had just over 2k in my d60 swap, that includes everything it needed to be driving down the road.

Last edited:

dthompson

Reaction score
Ditch the Superchips. Finally talked a buddy of mine with a MINT 97 CCLB DRW into ditching his. He's super happy. He went with just a TS and it's night and day vs. his ancient Superchips. More power, cleaner, cooler egts, smoother and quieter. No brainer.

vrog

Reaction score
Is the 7k minus the cost of wheels are tires paying someone else to do it? I had just over 2k in my d60 swap, that includes everything it needed to be driving down the road.

Yeah that was 24x14 american force with 38" nittos and every option you could get on the PMF lift and a dana 60. Adds up too fast

vrog

Reaction score
Ditch the Superchips. Finally talked a buddy of mine with a MINT 97 CCLB DRW into ditching his. He's super happy. He went with just a TS and it's night and day vs. his ancient Superchips. More power, cleaner, cooler egts, smoother and quieter. No brainer.

Sorry, Im used to the newer trucks. Whats TS stand for?

Latest posts

Members online