odd electrical issue

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
so my dads '11 has me kinda stumped. truck is overcharging only when driving. sees as high as 16.8 volts. then the whole dash shuts off and comes back on multiple times. replaced the alternator. kinda unsure where to go from there. rather than throwing parts if anyone has had it happen.

Eric@HoldersDiesel

Last edited:

carcare

Reaction score
I have seen them overcharge when batteries are no good. They work extra hard so they puttin out more amps. Sometimes I have to remind myself to go back to basics but I'm sure u already checked that. We used to have problems w the harnesses and had to splice them in w new installs. Alternators regulated internally. Did u get right amperage for ur truck?? Sometimes ther r multiple choices. Just trying to run things by you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have seen them overcharge when batteries are no good. They work extra hard so they puttin out more amps. Sometimes I have to remind myself to go back to basics but I'm sure u already checked that. We used to have problems w the harnesses and had to splice them in w new installs. Alternators regulated internally. Did u get right amperage for ur truck?? Sometimes ther r multiple choices. Just trying to run things by you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if im not mistaken. these new trucks have a computer controlled voltage regulator. not like the ole 7.3 that are built into the alternator.

carcare

Reaction score
Definitely still internally regulated. They just have them designed to charge on demand and not so much when not needed. All about fuel mileage and parasitic drag

L1 master, I-car certified collision, paint

carcare

Reaction score
High resistance in main 12v leads to alternator? Ground causing resistance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mint-6oh

Reaction score
Any codes? As stated above check red wire of 3 pin connector at alternator. Should be battery voltage. I would also load test that circuit. Poor alternator case ground could cause that as well as an intermittent circuit issue on either of the 2 circuits from pcm to alternator. Hopefully checking codes will give you some direction to go In

carcare

Reaction score
I dealt w a dodge just the other day. It was a 2005 cummins but point is they have a batt temp sensor below ds battery. It tells computer if and when the batteries are getting too hot or can take more of a charge. All reports through can-bus system and runs directly thru PCM but check around. I will as well for u if I can remember next time I'm at shop and can remember.

Latest posts

Members online