Odd torqueshift problem

BigStack04

Reaction score
Well here is a bit of the back story. It's a long one but thought it would help more to explain the whole situation leading up to the problem.

About a month ago was I was driving my friend home from a bonfire. Going along the highway at about 60 or so glanced down at my stereo and the front passenger side tire drifted into the loose gravel(about a foot of gravel between the pavement and the 9ft ditch). Bald tires had no traction so I couldn't correct it in time. Went into the ditch pretty hard I was knocked out momentarily and my friend she was hurting pretty bad from the seat belt. Had a friend rush her to the hospital.

The ditch was so steep the truck was almost over on it's side. After the police left and it was pulled out by a wrecker I would say it was on its side for maybe 3 hours.

Next day went to get it from the town tow yard and to my surprise she only had a scrape on the front fender. Fired right up and was able to drive about a block before I came to a stop sign and it wouldn't move tow/haul light started flashing and finally feathered the throttle just enough to get it onto the highway and park it at my family's property. There it sat until last week I went to work on it.

Checked the tranny fluid and it took about 7 quarts to register on the dipstick. Tried to drive it again and it went about a mile this time before i had to stop at an intersection and the problem continued. Got it back home checked the fluid again and added more seemed to be getting better though. Now after repeating that a few times until fluid was at full hot level i hooked up my scan tools to get all the codes that pertained to the transmission. After clearing and then driving for a min I rescanned it and only got p0730.

Reverse works fine. Every other gear works fine once I get going. Starting from a dead stop seems to be the only problem. Starting with tow/haul engaged it drives perfect.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BigStack04

Reaction score
I missed a code when I scanned it. So there is a p0720 and p0730 code present. Do these correlate some how

Zmann

Reaction score
what fluid did you use ?

how far tipped over was it ? where did it loose the fluid from ? dipstick ? vent ?

any chance the harness got yanked on ?

Last edited:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The P0730 probably set when it was low on fluid. It just means incorrect gear ratio. I'd ignore that one for now.

The P0720 means the OSS signal is intermittent. That could be from a damaged wiring harness, it might also set from low fluid, if the fluid was low enough that the truck stopped moving.

I think you need to get under the truck and see if you can find where the fluid is going. I think you have a big leak and that's the cause of your problems.

BigStack04

Reaction score
what fluid did you use ?

how far tipped over was it ? where did it loose the fluid from ? dipstick ? vent ?

what fluid did you use ?

I used the Motorcraft lv.

It was tipped pretty far not enough to fall on it's side though. More than 45degrees if I had to put an angle on it. As far as where the fluid escaped from i have no idea. No drips on the ground where it has been parked and no loss of fluid on the dipstick since.

BigStack04

Reaction score
I was able to erase all the codes with a ford diagnostics tool so far no codes have returned but the problem still persists..going to try flushing and refill with new filters and see how that works.

BigStack04

Reaction score
Any thoughts are still very much appreciated

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.