OEM brake controller

03international

Reaction score
I have. 2005 with the OEM brake controller, everytime I'm hooked to a goose neck or a bumper trailer it always comes up in the dash saying " trailer disconnected or trailer fault" but the plug is tight. and when it says this sometimes the lights on the trailer go out. any idea how to fix this or what's going on?

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
I never had an issue with mine when it was hooked to my gooseneck but my bumper pull trailer had that issue every time I hooked up to it. After some research I found out it was cause my dad who built the trailer a long time ago grounded the trailer thru the ball and not thru the plug.

That could be your same issue with your bumper pull. But the gooseneck having the same issues has me stumped

bboteler

Reaction score
It happens to mine when the trailer is grounded through the ball. If you have the trailer wired thro the plug for the ground then its usually not an issue.

Atsah

Reaction score
Mine used to do it without being plugged to a trailer.. I replaced the plug and all was good..

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Probably have to install an aftermarket brake controller. The factory ford ones seem to be a tad crappy..... IMO.

Why is that? I tend to like the tow command setup. It is really nice set up and I no longer have to play with the gain as much to dial in a trailer and load like I did on past controllers.

RedRice589

Reaction score
My '05 and my '08 are soft compared to my aftermareket controllers. I don't like having to reach down and grab the trailer brakes if i come up on anything too quick.... my dad's '06 was the same way. Personal prefernce i guess we like our trailer brakes tight. Not starting anything but my dads '10 6.7 cummins he runs a loaded trailer on 4-6 where i have to be on 10. Just seemed to be weak. Other than that it is convenient preinstalled.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I guess we are just different. I like them being more progressive with the actual braking system of the truck. I hate it when the trailer jerks me around from a brake that is on or off and relying on a inertia device in the controller to decide how hard it should brake.

Zmann

Reaction score
the 05's had an issue wit the controllers and exhibited the issues you guys are having with the TB fault ,, it was a voltage issue IIRC and it was just the way the nit was made

also these are way more complex than an aftermarket unit ,, these units manipulate more than trailer brakes the PCM and special master cylinder have a hand in it also

Zmann

Reaction score
the 05's had an issue wit the controllers and exhibited the issues you guys are having with the TB fault ,, it was a voltage issue IIRC and it was just the way the nit was made

also these are way more complex than an aftermarket unit ,, these units manipulate more than trailer brakes the PCM and special master cylinder have a hand in it also so if it doesn't feel the same as an aftermarket it's usually because it's doing more than applying trailer brakes

RedRice589

Reaction score
Thanks man my '08 was fine it just doesnt seem to be tight enough and we haul horses ALOT and it just wasn't working as good as the one i have now. I'm going to plug my stock one back in and try it again when my trailers outta the shop! Much obliged on the intel!

Latest posts

Members online