oil additive

Fromojo

Reaction score
It would be my understanding, with the way HEUI is, and perhaps flawed thinking is if you add something into your oil and your truck runs better that would lead me to believe you should seek out a better oil to run?

I ran rotella in the school bus, and cold starts after it had sat for a few days it would kinda rump, idle funny at first.

I switched to Scamsoil, I mean Amsoil and ran it until I sold the truck. I even ran 15W-40 in winter time, and we average 15 degrees Fahrenheit as a good cold day during winter on the East Coast and didn't even bother plugging the truck in, it started fairly close to the same as if it was a 70 degree day. Just a normal start up procedure, no cycling the key on and off 100 times, and all the other witchcraft.

I ran yearly oil changes with a single Amsoil Bypass filter.

7.3L HEUI is a bit different than 6.0L HEUI, but the concept is the same.

Last edited:

pjwoolw

Reaction score
I'm real happy with the Hotshots product. Superior IMHO to RevX. The other Product mentioned I haven't tried.

windrunner408

Reaction score
It would be my understanding, with the way HEUI is, and perhaps flawed thinking is if you add something into your oil and your truck runs better that would lead me to believe you should seek out a better oil to run?

I ran rotella in the school bus, and cold starts after it had sat for a few days it would kinda rump, idle funny at first.

I switched to Scamsoil, I mean Amsoil and ran it until I sold the truck. I even ran 15W-40 in winter time, and we average 15 degrees Fahrenheit as a good cold day during winter on the East Coast and didn't even bother plugging the truck in, it started fairly close to the same as if it was a 70 degree day. Just a normal start up procedure, no cycling the key on and off 100 times, and all the other witchcraft.

I ran yearly oil changes with a single Amsoil Bypass filter.

7.3L HEUI is a bit different than 6.0L HEUI, but the concept is the same.

Well I can tell you that I have owned my truck since it had 4 miles on it and I have ran 15w-40 Amsoil in it from my VERY first oil change at 5k miles until about 85k miles. At the 85k mile mark, I switched to 5w-40 Amsoil and I noticed that the engine ran quieter at idle when it was cold outside. About 2k miles later, I added Rev-X and the engine ran even quieter. When I changed the oil at 90k, I did the AR9100 with the Amsoil 5w-40 and the engine ran just as good as the rev-X did. I don't think adding either rev-X or AR9100 is because one is using a lower quality oil. I saw an improvement with my engine and I plan to continue using it even with my Amsoil. JMO and hope it helps.

Fromojo

Reaction score
I just wish someone would send some of these oil additives to a lab to see what's in them so we can then guess again what it really does.

I realize people have had good results in their engines running better after adding the stuff, but I'd really like to know why it band aids whatever is going on.

I think part of the problem is the HEUI itself, but I'm not going to debate a dinosaur injection system to those who have made proven power and the fact they are still around and chugging hard.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Rev-x will not release anything about their additive. Here's what it says on Archoil's site....Archoil® is the registered name for a line of products engineered with Nano Potassium Borate, Synthetic Ester Matrix, Boron Nitride(BN)-Ceramic and many other Nano Technologies making Archoil the most advanced lubrication technology under one brand developed in formulations for engines, transmissions, gear boxes hydraulic systems and fuel systems.

windrunner408

Reaction score
...I think part of the problem is the HEUI itself, but I'm not going to debate a dinosaur injection system to those who have made proven power and the fact they are still around and chugging hard.

You are correct that the main part of the problem is the HEUI setup. In this setup, the oil is subjected to extreme pressures in comparison to a non-HEUI motor. Eitherway though, if I can keep my HEUI 6.0 running the way it is right now by using an additive, you can bet that I will keep doing it. It doesn't mean that I like doing it but I am going to do it nonetheless because I am keeping my HEUI 6.0. So for me it just comes down to running a high quality oil and then finding the lowest cost additive that will do the job. Hope this makes sense.

Chris is right. Rev-X is shut up like a tin can and doesn't really release anything specific about their product. The bottomline though is that this technology is actually pretty old (older than me and I'm over 30). Archoil (EverGreen America) gives A LOT more information. I would really recommend checking them out.

Latest posts

Members online