Oil change

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Did my first oil change at 3500 miles.

Since I don't use the truck much, I let the oil drip overnight. I also punched a hole in the filter and let that drain overnight.

I fill the new filter with almost a quart of oil. Spin on the filter, tighten the drain plug and dump in 12 quarts of 5w40 into the motor. Total oil is 13 quarts including the filter. Start the motor, reset the oil life meter and shut off the motor. Clean up, put the tools away (about 15-20 minutes) and proceed to check the oil on the dipstick. Nothing shows up on the dipstick.

Do I add more oil or wait 'til the next day and check the oil?

Or just put the 13 qts in and close the hood?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
add another quart. check the oil in 5 minutes. if nothing-add more oil. More than likely, it will be just a hair under the fill line.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Drain plug in? If so, put the 13 in it and drive around the block. Let it sit a bit, then check it. Look at it on the first pull of the stick.

20156point7

Reaction score
I never can get an accurate reading with those ignorant dipsticks I just put 13 1/2 qts and shut the hood and change it again in 5k miles

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Did my first oil change at 3500 miles.

Since I don't use the truck much, I let the oil drip overnight. I also punched a hole in the filter and let that drain overnight.

I fill the new filter with almost a quart of oil. Spin on the filter, tighten the drain plug and dump in 12 quarts of 5w40 into the motor. Total oil is 13 quarts including the filter. Start the motor, reset the oil life meter and shut off the motor. Clean up, put the tools away (about 15-20 minutes) and proceed to check the oil on the dipstick. Nothing shows up on the dipstick.

Do I add more oil or wait 'til the next day and check the oil?

Or just put the 13 qts in and close the hood?

Billy T.
[email protected]

I had the same problem with my 11. It was the dipstick and oil not sticking to it. I bought a new one. Problem solved.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
If I remember right the book says 13 or something close to that. Mine usually takes 14 range. I do the same let it drain for a while and fill the filter. I jack the front up a little to try and get everything out. yea the dipstick sucks, but not as bad at the 6.4 trucks. Those are totally useless.

webb06

Reaction score
Ours always take right at 14qts to get the to max/full line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I would measure my pan and tell you how much height each quart adds but I don't have my truck at the house.
Or if your close to your truck you can.
Measure the pan in inches
Each quart is 57.75 cubic inches. It should get you close on how much each quart will raise the oil level.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online