oil cooler accessibility

stroker221

Reaction score
What a pain this is to get to. When I started the job I didn't realize the intake manifold and fuel lines had to come off. As for where theres two studs that connect the front of intake to shroud does anybody take the studs out or just the nuts? Hopefully tomorrow ill at least have the intake off.

Lipka101

Reaction score
Just the nuts. You may have to take the bottom two out also. I think the bottom two are bolts. You have the cab up?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You can get the cooler off with the intake still on. The front few bolts are a pita, you gotta use a wrench, but easier than pulling yhe intake, especially cab on.

stroker221

Reaction score
You can get the cooler off with the intake still on. The front few bolts are a pita, you gotta use a wrench, but easier than pulling yhe intake, especially cab on.

Really? That would be nice. I tried getting a socket with swivel on the one up front under intake and it wouldn't fit. I'll have to see if there's anywhere to get a wrench on. And then there's two I believe under the large piece that the turbo pedestal mounts down to that look to be a pita to get to with intake in the way. Cab is on. If intake doesn't have to come off then it will be much nicer not having to take the fuel rail off that connects to both heads up front and runs down drivers side of intake...

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Take the pedestal off, and all the bolts except the front ones you can get with wobbly sockets. Those front ones i use a ratcht wrench on, and they are a pita. Most of the time i take the front apart and stand where the fan is instead of working on my stomach, which may make it easier.

stroker221

Reaction score
Well one thing I don't have is ratchet wrenches yet. I ended up loosening up the manifold and took off the oil filter housing and it gave me just enough wiggle room to get a 3/8 drive and swivel down there. So after getting the front two bolts loose I called it a night. I tried for a good while putting a wrench on it and it just wasn't happening for me. Even if I would of got one on there I dont think there's enough leverage to break em loose. If I would of had a 1/4" drive swivel then I could of gotten them loose much quicker as long as the swivel wouldn't snap.
Tonight hopefully ill have it pulled out.

Before I pull up the cooler would it be wise to drain my coolant? I was thinking if coolant sits in cooler while not running then when I go to pull it off coolant could go on the oil side.... Not good.
Thanks for the help

webb06

Reaction score
Well one thing I don't have is ratchet wrenches yet. I ended up loosening up the manifold and took off the oil filter housing and it gave me just enough wiggle room to get a 3/8 drive and swivel down there. So after getting the front two bolts loose I called it a night. I tried for a good while putting a wrench on it and it just wasn't happening for me. Even if I would of got one on there I dont think there's enough leverage to break em loose. If I would of had a 1/4" drive swivel then I could of gotten them loose much quicker as long as the swivel wouldn't snap.

Tonight hopefully ill have it pulled out.

Before I pull up the cooler would it be wise to drain my coolant? I was thinking if coolant sits in cooler while not running then when I go to pull it off coolant could go on the oil side.... Not good.

Thanks for the help

You'll want to drain the coolant for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stroker221

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41229&stc=1&d=1452050720

Now here is what it comes down to.. I believe this oring seal for the two coolant passages is the culprit. But I'm not %100 sure. What do you guys think. Again, I had coolant in the valey, it ran down both sides of the rear of block and a little up front. It never puddles up or anything really bad. But the always alot of coolant on bottom of engine and drivetrain.

Zmann

Reaction score
all of your pictures
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

u tube videos by DTR diesel tech Ron would have helped you a ton

stroker221

Reaction score
Was filled with coolant

Attachments

• WP_20160105_002.jpg
    WP_20160105_002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53

stroker221

Reaction score
Here is the coolant passage o ring seal. What do you guys think? Just get this seal and hope for the best?

Attachments

• WP_20160105_010.jpg
    WP_20160105_010.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

stroker221

Reaction score
Is their supposed to be any type of gasket around the remainder of the cooler that doesn't have the oring grooves?

Latest posts

Members online