Oil cooler leak

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Old thread I know.

Anyone experience an external coolant leak at the oil cooler? Looks to be coming from the front cooler housing where it mates to the block.

Been chasing a small leak for a while now and I think ive pinpointed it. I didnt realize the oil cooler had radiator fluid run through it :doh:

What im noticing though that has me a bit lost is that almost everything I read about the cooler leaking has to do with people having the 2 fluids mix internally. Im not seeing any mixing going on. Oil level has not moved and im at 5K ready to do a change.

Coolant level is dropping slowly. Ive been marking and watching the degas bottle every couple weeks.

Think im on the right track? Its a tough leak to see....

Thanks,

79jasper

Reaction score
Could just be the gasket. If it were the orings, you would have either oil leaking, or coolant mixing with oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

brewer

Reaction score
Old thread I know.

Anyone experience an external coolant leak at the oil cooler? Looks to be coming from the front cooler housing where it mates to the block.

Been chasing a small leak for a while now and I think ive pinpointed it. I didnt realize the oil cooler had radiator fluid run through it :doh:

What im noticing though that has me a bit lost is that almost everything I read about the cooler leaking has to do with people having the 2 fluids mix internally. Im not seeing any mixing going on. Oil level has not moved and im at 5K ready to do a change.

Coolant level is dropping slowly. Ive been marking and watching the degas bottle every couple weeks.

Think im on the right track? Its a tough leak to see....

Thanks,
Yes, I just had my cooler out for an external leak, but at the rear cooler housing. Where the cooler mounts to the block.

I started losing coolant and found it running down the side of my oil filter. Had a stream of greenish white residue down the side of the filter where it was burning off.
When I pulled the oil cooler there was white reside on the block next to the oil cooler housing, which I was unable to see with the cooler on due to the oil filter mount in the way.

I think the front may have slowly been leaking oil, as well, due to oil buildup I found on the block and engine crossmember underneath the front mount.

Didn't see anything wrong with my cooler-to-block gasket, so replaced the rear housing with a new one as I assumed it may be warped at the mounting surface. No more leaking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.