Oil cooler rebuild/swap

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Set out to swap oil coolers on my pickup this weekend. My truck apparently has a 95 long block in it, which has the oil cooler header with the staked in bypass valve that is famous for falling out. I bought a used oil cooler from another member that came from a T444e and while the bolt patterns are the same, the way the cooler mounts to the block is different between the 2 enough that the 444e cooler won't bolt up to a PSD (or I didn't try hard enough to get the dang thing into place). So I pulled the one off my spare motor only to find a small crack in the rear housing:

oil_cooler_zpsec5f72d5.jpg

It appears to be a sound repair but there was so much crud all over the outside of the oil cooler it was hard to tell if it's leaking or not. Long story short, can this oil cooler be used or should I just pony up and buy a new rear header from Riffraff?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I dont see a crack... Only a casting mark...

Or am I missing something, about 9 oclock?

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I dont see a crack... Only a casting mark...

Or am I missing something, about 9 oclock?
Yeah about 9 o clock. Is that just a casting mark??? The other 2 rear headers I have didn't have any sort of casting marks in that area, and since the texture of the metal changed right around that line I figured it had been welded up some how. There is some sort of a line/casting mark on the external part of the housing as well.

Latest posts

Members online