Oil cooler toast?

Lowdown89

Reaction score
My friend has an 05 Excursion with 6.0. Saturday the water pump went out. We changed that yesterday. It may have been there before but now it's giving a code for insufficient EGR flow. It doesn't eat coolant and doesn't have any white coming out the tail pipe at all. So he did a drive while monitoring EOT and ECT, the oil got as much as 26 degrees hotter than the coolant. I've read that that is a sign of a bad cooler, but we wanna make sure there's nothing else we're missing. Thanks in advance

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Newer ford tstat? I'm finding a lot of cheaper aftermarket tstat are not allowing bypassing of the coolant flow and overheating the cooler. I also am finding a lot of front covers worn out where the t Stat contacts the mating surface to bypass flow. I've become accustomed to checking that prior to changing cooler.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
What are the actual ECT and EOT readings?

With those deltas, I would say there is definitely an issue with the cooler. Should only be up to around 10* difference.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
The EOT is 211 and the coolant temp is 186 , does anyone have a link to a good coolant flush procedure I want to make sure when we replace the cooler we flush it as best as possible and well I'm 6.0 dumb lol I searched and came up with lots of people talking about flushes but no write ups I remember someone positing a link to a good one a while back but I wasn't paying much attention

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Drain system now, via radiator drain, and both block drains. Remove tstat from the housing, bolt it back on. Distilled water and 2 quarts of Ford VC9. Vacuum fill the system, rn it 1500 for hour and half, drain, let cool, than repeat about 4 times but only for about 25 mins each time after initial flush.

During cool down period you can also back flush into heater core in and out of... Do this with the old cooler in so it catches all the debris

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
The EOT is 211 and the coolant temp is 186 , does anyone have a link to a good coolant flush procedure I want to make sure when we replace the cooler we flush it as best as possible and well I'm 6.0 dumb lol I searched and came up with lots of people talking about flushes but no write ups I remember someone positing a link to a good one a while back but I wasn't paying much attention

I'd also like to see the coolant a bit hotter. If this vehicle is fully warmed up, no load, doing 60 for a nice 3 mile stretch I'd like to see 192

Latest posts

Members online