oil cooler

jbkingranch

Reaction score
I drove mine for a year with a bad one. Never saw more then a 40 degree difference though. I waited till the cooler blew up then pulled it down and did a gaskets at the same time. I wouldn't push it that long though. Took two days of flushing it to get all the schitt out of the cooling system.

Marty

Reaction score
Get a coolant filter on it before the swap, you don't want it to blow up in the truck. Creates the biggest mess that never fully gets cleaned.

Snake

Reaction score
How long you can run it depends on how much you're willing to risk, how deep your pockets are, and how long you plan on keeping the truck. Just remember that the oil isn't only lubricating vital engine components, but it also plays a critical role with your injectors. Not only that, but a clogged oil cooler can lead to EGR cooler failure, blown head gaskets, and hydrolocking. Or if it ruptures, your coolant will be contaminated with oil.

Bottom line is that you're rolling the dice.

yeehaw

Reaction score
i was at about a 30 degree difference when i smoked the egr cooler and it started puking in the last '06.... i wouldn't risk it, get it fixed asap. Mine does a bout a 18 degree difference pulling a heavy load and i wanna do it already before it gets worse.

pistonbully

Reaction score
Don't cheap out. Put in a Bullet proof (external oil cooler) and never ever worry about the oil cooler again. The hottest i've ever seen my oil get is 205 degree's and that was after being on it hard passing blue hairs for an extended time, then pulling a hill to top it all off.

Snake

Reaction score
WHS. After a lot of research and thinking, I invested in the Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler. It is the FINAL solution for 6.0 oil cooler woes.

yeehaw

Reaction score
i helped a friend install a BPD kit on a '05, i really am thinking about throwing one in the dually when i got the money. That 2000 dollar price tag is kinda rough.

Snake

Reaction score
i helped a friend install a BPD kit on a '05, i really am thinking about throwing one in the dually when i got the money. That 2000 dollar price tag is kinda rough.

Guy over on the org installed an OEM oil cooler and it just ruptured (7 months and 3k miles later). Not only does he get to replace his oil cooler again, but he also gets to flush the crap out of his cooling system a second time.

The Bulletproof Kit isn't cheap, but it's worth it. :D

03international

Reaction score
what doesn't make sence to me is, Marty did studs and a cooler like 6,000 miles ago. he said he flushed it with distilled water and put CAT ELC in it. now it's bad again.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Crap broke loose during the flush. I would flush it a couple hundred miles before a new oil cooler so that the old one acts as the ultimate coolant filter.

Snake

Reaction score
what doesn't make sence to me is, Marty did studs and a cooler like 6,000 miles ago. he said he flushed it with distilled water and put CAT ELC in it. now it's bad again.

Very common problem. Flush, replace, and it clogs again. Sometimes it does it quickly, and other times it takes tens of thousands of miles. It's a gamble, and my luck sucks. So I bought the BPD kit.

03international

Reaction score
well we did it Friday night. you wouldn't believe the crap that was on the screen. we actually found two screens on the screen that was on there from the previous screen. if that made any sence lol.

yeehaw

Reaction score
last truck i replaced it at 142k (original factory one) and then put a oem replacement in and the truck had 164k when traded in, temps were still perfect. I am going to just throw an oem one back in this truck and call it a day, when that time comes.

yeehaw

Reaction score
of course it has a coolant filter, and i run the factory motorcraft gold, even thought nobody on here likes it BUT i feel safest with it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.