Oil leak, driver side front of the engine!

tmcdowell61

Reaction score
New member and new (old) powerstroke owner here!

Within the last two days a significant oil leak has developed as it appears behind the AC pump on my 97 and runs down the front and drips on the cross member and the axle. Leaves about a 3 inch diameter spot wherever I park it. Definitely not fuel, but I can almost be 100% certain that its coming from that vicinity. I've only had the truck about 2 months and this is the first oil leak I've spotted.

Any Ideas as to what it is? Not very familiar with these trucks but I'm confident I can do most minor repairs! Thanks!

MossBack

Reaction score
Sounds like the Oil rail plug. They are on the front and back of the head right on top where the oil comes in off the hpop.

tmcdowell61

Reaction score
Is it worthwhile to replace all four? Truck has 245k on it, never leaked until our first dip into negative temps here in Montana.

Baker42

Reaction score
:pint:I just fixed a leak on my OBS 2 days ago.
So I have a electric fuel with the fuel bowl delete, I would look down into the valley and I could see oil under the HPOP. I pulled the pump replaced all orings and allowed the Loctite 680 to cure in the "non serviceable plug" for 24 hours. I fired the truck up, cleaned the engine valley of oil, and went for a drive. After 20 or so miles I returned home to find more oil under the HPOP. I traced the leak to the ICP sensor o ring. Replaced that o ring and the leak is gone. Make sure you buy Viton durometer 90 o rings. Here is a list.
IPR- requires a -012 and a -114
HPOP lines require a -906 on the pump and a -905 at the heads.
"non serviceable plug" requires a -903
plug on pump requires a -906
ICP sensor requires a -905
You can purchase these at riff raff or diesel o rings but I buy all mine at a local hydraulic shop for pennies. good luck.
Wash the truck engine down and monitor the "clean" engine after 20 miles of driving or so. The source will show itself.

7.3obs

Reaction score
Is it worthwhile to replace all four? Truck has 245k on it, never leaked until our first dip into negative temps here in Montana.

It can't hurt. Any of them that I have replaced ive found the o rings to be getting brittle. The front two are no problem but those back two can make you want to :fustrate:

Last edited:

birdco85

Reaction score
I have the same type of leak, I've have inspected the oil rail plugs (about 2 years ago) and they are dry, replaced the HPOP gasket and all O-rings, replaced the ICP and o-ring, and I still have the leak. I've had this leak since I bought the truck about 5 years ago and it's starting to get really bad now. I'm starting to think mine is coming from the timing cover, maybe at the base of the HPOP reservoir, because there is oil in the valley but also running down the front of the engine. The HPOP lines are damp in certain spots, I think from oil blowing on them, and so is the underside of my intake spider. I park my truck where the front is uphill and I will get oil spots under the rear of the engine, and if I park it downhill, I will get spots under the front.

Does anybody have ideas for this one?

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Where the oil cooler connects to the block maybe?
This is immediately what I thought of. The front will be a pain in the ass to even get to let alone clean the surface well for the new gasket. I did mine when I was doing my water pump and got it from the front side. Its tucked away enough its hard to trace a leak from that spot, best way to see it is through the wheel well

zilla68

Reaction score
It can't hurt. Any of them that I have replaced ive found the o rings to be getting brittle. The front two are no problem but those back two can make you want to :fustrate:

I just did mine and you sir are correct.

the drivers side rear was easier, but that passenger side was a bitch, you can't get enough down pressure to break it loose:morons:

7.3obs

Reaction score
I just did mine and you sir are correct.

the drivers side rear was easier, but that passenger side was a bitch, you can't get enough down pressure to break it loose:morons:

I almost gave up on the passengers side until my friend came over and we used a swivel ratchet, turnt to 90* to fit in the plug then used a pipe wrench on the handle and we really came on to it. Was the only way we found to get it. They are a nightmare.

To the PO. If it is your oil cooler. If you take drivers tire off and you have a long enough extension I've found that to be the easiest way to get to the bolts in the front.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.