Oil leak from injector bore round 2!!

a_port93

Reaction score
Ok I'm gonna try and keep this as interesting as possible but I have a tendency to over explain things....
97 powerstroke full force stage 1s t500 hpop

So I started the rig a cpl months ago after purging the **** out of the cylinders and couldn't help but notice a goofy kind of idle sounded more like split shots and my ipr duty cycle was always up there so I suspected a HPO leak.after taking care of some exhaust leaks and fuel system leaks I just got around to pulling the valve cover from the bank I suspected (isolating the HPO to theheads helped me point a finger) and noticed that the rearmost injector bore Is puking HPO.

I pulled the injector to inspect the o rings (fresh fordies from full force) and decide they're A OK. Just for the hell of it I put a set of O rings on it before installing. reinstall and purge the cylinder by removing glow plug and spinning with starter. It fires up nicely after unplugging injectors and priming rails. However it's still puking oil out if the bore. After getting warm it will not build more than 250 psi of ICP which you all know doesn't cut it!

My biggest question and the point of this post is what can i look at excluding injector o rings that would cause the injector to not seat possibly or something along those lines....?the injector bore and cup appeared to be good as I made sure it was super clean before reinstalling.

I'm lost with where to go from here it's frustrating as hell and I would appreciate any help you guys are willing to offer!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
You are losing oil up past the top oil ring and out onto the head? Your not just seeing the injector oil return spout spewing oil? Maybe one is spewing more than the others?

How about them all being flush on top (straight edge on the solenoids)?? Could be an extra copper down in the bore causing it to not seat properly?

If all of that is perfect and the orings are perfect, more than like it is cylinder head or injector (have you tried swapping that injector to a different hole to eliminate the injector being the issue??)

a_port93

Reaction score
That's exactly my next move Derek.I emailed Matt at full force asking if the injector can get stuck open or closed and if that can cause the oil to want to leak somewhere else but still the upper steel ring and cushion and o ring should contain any of that right???? haven't heard anything yet from anyone.

Real peculiar acting and yes I took the oil spouts off the whole bank to make sure that my upper injector hold down bolts were bottomed out to the shoulder of the bolt so they are all evenly tight give or take a mm or so.and to answer the other half of that one no the injector isn't consuming any oil.another interesting one is that after I threw a fresh set of o rings on the #8 injector I noticed my idled down icp went back to what I call normal around 5-560psi now it's up again high around 670-750 I'm guessing it's commanding more to make up for the loss...?not sure

After pulling the injector the first time to swap o rings I checked out injector bore and cup with a light visually and I also wiped all surfaces in the bore clean.no the old copper washer came out with injector and the new one went on with a little grease to ensure it held

I'd really like to know if an injector will cause this as my buzz test was ok saying that at least the solenoid pops.

Thanks guys!!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
if the oil is coming from where I think you are talking about, no that cannot be mechanical failure of the injector.

But I may be thinking about it incorrectly.

a_port93

Reaction score
It is leaking up and out of the injector bore by where the hold down bar meets on the injector bore mating surface.so it's coming up through the bore I can watch it with the valve covers off and it pukes up and out of the bore.
I'll try and take a video.

If it was a head problem I doubt it would hold up to 2000psi of icp if the rail was cracked or something tho right??

The oil rails seem to have plenty of material on them (have a spare motor in my garage to compare with

Thanks again Derek! I really hope it doesn't have to pay you guys a visit!!lol

Latest posts

Members online