Oil leak question

Crowe4146

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need some help diagnosing an issue on my truck(05ccsb). I have found an oil leak that I have not found on any forum or through any other search I've tried. Oil is coming from where the head meets the exhaust manifold on the second cylinder from the back on the pass. side. My guess is either bad valve seal or blowing by the rings. The truck does not smoke or have any other symptoms. What do you guys think it could be?

webb06

Reaction score
You're sure it's not coming from above there, at the glowplug harness? Those o rings often leak. Also are you sure it's oil coming from the exhaust manifold?

Is there any blowby out of the oil fill cap?

loboost

Reaction score
I'd check the gp harness first...like stated...they like to leak especially if its ever been off.

sent while driving recklessly

Crowe4146

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure it's coming from the exhaust manifold where it meets the head. It's clean on top of the manifold and oil running out the bottom. It does have some blow by, no worse than any other 6.0 I've seen. I really hope it's coming from a valve seal. Is there anyway the head could be cracked and leaking it into the exhaust port. I've noticed if I drive it normal it doesn't leak but if I accelerate hard or pass a car fast it will make a mess under the truck and drip for a bit after I shut it down.

webb06

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure it's coming from the exhaust manifold where it meets the head. It's clean on top of the manifold and oil running out the bottom. It does have some blow by, no worse than any other 6.0 I've seen. I really hope it's coming from a valve seal. Is there anyway the head could be cracked and leaking it into the exhaust port. I've noticed if I drive it normal it doesn't leak but if I accelerate hard or pass a car fast it will make a mess under the truck and drip for a bit after I shut it down.

It's hard to say. I've personally never seen that issue...only thing I've seen like that is from a cracked piston causing oil to be pushed out. You're sure it's oil? Not diesel?

Crowe4146

Reaction score
It's black and smells like oil also paints my rear shocks and exhaust black when it leaks. I was thinking of getting a new set of heads when I do gaskets. Guess ill try to find a spare engine now.

webb06

Reaction score
It could be diesel and the soot inside the manifold mixing and looking like oil. You really to to find out if its oil. The bottom end of the engine could be fine. I'd pull the head and see what you get

Crowe4146

Reaction score
I'm sure it's oil and I do plan to pull the head but I'd rather have a plan in place for the worse before I do. I will let everyone know what I find when I pull it apart. With my luck it's prob a cracked piston lol.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.