Oil Pressure?

CamTom12

Reaction score
The manual shows curb idle at operating temp to be at least 10psi, while 3,300rpm should be 40-70psi. That's all I can contribute, I never had an oil pressure gauge on my old truck.

dave186

Reaction score
Does anyone run any sort of orifice on there turbo oil feed lines? I have -6 line on mine and it seems big but ive never checked oil pressure.

907DAVE

Reaction score
-6 is on large side, but the turbo itself is the restriction. You could run a -12 to the turbo and it would consume no more oil than a -4.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
The manual shows curb idle at operating temp to be at least 10psi, while 3,300rpm should be 40-70psi. That's all I can contribute, I never had an oil pressure gauge on my old truck.

:whs: Per the ferd book.

My basically stock E99 engine with an ADR was 20 at idle, EOT - 180* or slightly higher.

At 3000 RPM's it was just over 40.

That was with a mechanical gauge in the HPOP res.

Charles

Reaction score
The engines don't seem to care. My engine way back when I had the cracked pickup tube would run single digit pressure any time I wasn't turning left hard. If I turned right it would drop to 0 - 2psi or so.

I ran that engine for 4 years or so and over 480rwhp for a long time. Towed VERY hard, a LOT. When I pulled it out to fix the pickup tube we looked at the bearings and they looked perfect. After a number of years longer at the pressures listed above without the cracked pickup, but with compounds I cracked that piston. Upon teardown the bearings still looked perfectly fine. There was tons of cap walk, and a there was copper showing, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I never had a turbo problem in all that time either.

For some reason I lost power and started dropping turbos and all hell broke loose after that, which I still haven't gotten to the bottom of. But I don't know that I'd be worrying about single digit oil pressure just yet. It never seemed to matter at all to my bearings.

Of the pump setups I've run, in order of hot idle oil pressure, Gen3, BTS, Stock, Stealth with return spill. The stealth made a *** ton of pressure due to the IPR return to inlet. Cold I was scared to let the rpm get up too much with the cold converter unlocked because it would jump up to 100 or so and I worried it might burst the front cover, lol. The steady hot idle in the 30+ range was nice though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.