oil talk, performance synthetics

under pressure

Reaction score
Valvolene prem. Blue, Rotella T6, Lucas magnum synthetic and Mobile 1 super are all $29 a gallon here.
I was getting AmsOil at $25 a gallon as a dealer. I may go back to that.
Royal Purple here is 39 $ for the 5 qt. jug.

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
I always just use john deere oil.

If its good enough for our 500k$ tractors its good enough for my rag.

Then if i didn't live on the farm and have it readily available I've always had good luck with delo

BDP Tuner

Reaction score
I run the Schaffers 9000 in the DMAX & the 6.0 and I run 7000 in my 7.3 trucks.

I like to run there E.P oil treatment too.

PSDEng

Reaction score
I run the Valvoline synthetic in my daily driver, but the puller will be getting Lucas oil from now on purely for that fact that it doesn't mix with water.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Heck with pricey stuff. I use delo 400 in the puller and bearings and all always look great. I have considered brad penn but will probably wait till there is a p pump on it. I change it every 4 hooks. I didn much care for amsoil when it was still a dd and tried it.

under pressure

Reaction score
Dello 400 is great stuff but changing it often is a plus im sure. Dello really runs good in my truck, just didnt seem to last very long. Couple thousand miles and theres a difference in sound, Rotella is even worse, its cooked in 3000 miles and poors like water.

Considering valvolene xtreme blue or lucas magnum, see if the truck likes it.

under pressure

Reaction score
So why is Valvolene extreme blue so hard to get, i tried today, no one can get it. But its at local stores in Texas according to my auto parts store, yet they cant UPS oil store to store.

My shelf options as of today are.....

Valvolene premium blue HD
Lucas Magnum syn.
Rotella T6
Mobile delvac
Delo 400LE

psduser1

Reaction score
I've ran a couple....
Reg rotella- cheap and shortlived
Rotella t6 in the ex, seems pretty good, first time.
Valvoline eb 5w40 in the pickup, no bueno, engine sounded like sh!t, dumped it and went back to regular rotella! That engine seems happier
When I'm home, they all get brad Penn 15/40, cause we get it at $10 a gallon.
The next synthetic will probably be schaeffers, I hear a lot of good things, and its competetively priced

under pressure

Reaction score
I went back to Delo 400 w/isosyn. May just stick with it at a normal change interval at 13 $ a gallon.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mobil 1 5w40 or Valvoline EB. If not that, delo 400 is good.

Anything over 3k in a 7.3 is a waste no matter what brand as it.gets thin from shear. If you are cheap, synthetic is NOT for you. Run regular dyno oil and change it every 3k. Fancy filtration aside, the oil itself.gets beat up too much to run it longer although Im sure somebody is doing extended change intervals. That wouldnt work for me so no comment.

01PSD

Reaction score
and it's pretty amazing how noticeable the change in engine noise/performance is the later you get from the previous service

sniper_101

Reaction score
I've always used Rotella 15/40 and T6 5/40 in mine for the last 3 years, but I think I'm going to try Valvoline next; see if it does anything for my ICP issues. I don't think I can get Schaeffer's here, but I will look into it before my next oil change.

Edit - Looks like there is a private Schaeffer's seller in town here. Well that changes things!

Last edited:

MilehighEX

Reaction score
Mobile1 Delvac stays cleaner longer with better power than Rotella 15w40 and is usually cheaper @ walmart

Latest posts

Members online