oil talk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It should also be in a hundred pieces too. Part of the equation is the oil. The other part is I've been really lucky, because this thing shouldn't be running at all let alone as well as it does. I drive 1000 miles a week, and every week I say to myself this will be the week she lets loose, and then she doesn't. I must have done something right in my life....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah that too..

live life full throttle

highestpoint

Reaction score
t6 here. I was able to tell that it the truck reacted better to it with warmer starts, etc. I can also tell when it's time to change the oil when it gets up to around 4800 miles.

Still feel like oil is oil but haven't had any issues with it yet, so I'll continue to run it.

slc6oh

Reaction score
So jus pulled trigger on amsoil 5w40 synthetic ****. Buds price made it not unreasonably much more than t6. Says good for extended drain, while every ounce of my being says change at 5k. Whats yalls take on running it longer than that?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So jus pulled trigger on amsoil 5w40 synthetic ****. Buds price made it not unreasonably much more than t6. Says good for extended drain, while every ounce of my being says change at 5k. Whats yalls take on running it longer than that?

oil analysis is a must if going over 5k... dont use other people's analysis as a tried and true way of doing it either.. your motor may have other issues doing more harm then good.

live life full throttle

Reaction score
On any other vehicle I would say extended drain with synthetic. A friend has 100k on 1 amsoil change according to 5k sampling in his Cummins. However, from what I understand, it is our HPOP that literally shears the viscosity right out of the oil. I believe my previous attitude regarding extended synthetic intervals is part of what cost me a set of injectors. When I finally get my engine put back together and in the truck, it will be 5k intervals, period! It is so much easier to do an oil change than it is to do just about anything else on this engine, especially because you don't have to balance your body weight on the core support for hours! Regardless of cost, I consider it cheap insurance. I also believe that the better you treat your 6.0, the better it will treat you. If you ever get the chance to tear one down, you will see why.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
6.0 s also get lots of fuel in the oil. I've not seen one report without fuel dilution bordering on severe. Extending intervals on 6.0s should be guided by at least a CLS and MLA with actual engine experience. Interpretation of soot load is critical and almost always missed by lab techs working on analysis reports.

beanoil

Reaction score
I'll be odd man out here. 117k on 10w30 oils, either Rotella T5 or Valvoline Premium Blue. Both synthetic blends, both very good oils, with Valvoline getting the nod for value. It goes on sale at NAPA for 11.99 a gallon in the spring, and I stock up. The 6.0 will shear a 40 weight down to a 30 over the 5k interval, either of the oils mentioned go in a 30, and come out a 30. YMMV, and you can choose what works for you, oil threads usually result in arguments. Just stating what works for me.

Latest posts

Members online