Oil temp sensor

6speedsd

Reaction score
How common, or rare, is it for an oil temp sensor to go bad, or give faulty readings? I checked my temps today. Cruising down the highway about 65mph, I was getting 196 ECT and 247 EOT! Af first I nearly crapped my drawers when I saw it, but after thinking about it, that seems like a huge difference. I figured if my cooler was clogging, I'd get some difference in temps, but over 40 degrees difference? No real load on the truck, fairly level ground (no hills or such). Makes me wonder if that sensor is acting up. For what it's worth, I checked those temps with my X3. Should I get paranoid and get a cooler on the way, or does that seem like maybe a bad sensor? Oh, EGR is deleted as well.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Usually when the oil cooler clogs, it's on the coolant side though, not the oil side...

I had one give me some really weird readings on a scanner before, I think it was actually using my SCT and livelink. When I first started the truck it gave me an EOT of 450+, which clearly wasn't right, and it just dropped the entire time of driving and went down to like 120 before I shut it off. Ordered new sensor, same thing, realized it was the software... different software package and it's correct now.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I checked my temps this morning when I first started it up. Both were like 86. Coolant came up quick after that. Didn't watch it too long. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get a crazy reading from the start.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I do check it at op temp. That's where I get 40+ degrees difference. I had to change one on my old 04. Temps on it were about 15deg difference. This one must really be clogged.

TonyG

Reaction score
Better change that oil cooler ASAP before you end up with a black volcanic coolant overflow haha

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I've been battling this type of issue since doing studs. I'm not running as high as you but my split is ALWAYS 14*+ on the HWY (70+). I've checked just about everything and just cant see it being the oil cooler....again.

TonyG

Reaction score
I've been battling this type of issue since doing studs. I'm not running as high as you but my split is ALWAYS 14*+ on the HWY (70+). I've checked just about everything and just cant see it being the oil cooler....again.

Could be a defective unit? If you replaced it when you did studs maybe it's a faulty cooler or was your issue accruing prior to the stud job?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I had the same temp split when I went to do studs. I had VERY minor burping of coolant out the bottle. I cant say when this split started but I still have it. Temps work up and down as the driving conditions change. So they reflect driving hard or driving slow, towing or empty....they just stay apart. Aside from swapping the cooler (which I'm not doing anytime soon) it's just a glitch I'll live with.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Oil pressure was checked Friday showing 30 PSI at idle at the oil temp port. So flow thru the cooler is there, coolant is flowing as it should back to the bottle (GOGO modded return).

TonyG

Reaction score
And your saying the oil is always the higher number? And 30psi sounds good but remember there's a big difference between psi and volume.... Think about how much water can flow in a drinking straw at 30psi.... Now run the same psi in a 3 in piece of PVC... If you did this for a 30second period what one do you think would move more mass? But there both 30psi right? Always something to remember when dealing with a possible restriction IE oil cooler...

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Oil is always higher. Cold start ECT/EOT read the same as outside...Tranny temp usually +3 over outside. Oil is flowing thru the cooler, I was just giving the reading to show it's within the OEM range for PSI at idle at the port.

Yes 30 PSI is 30 PSI...but you forget that there needs to be a pump to handle the volume as well. I doubt you alone could orally push 30PSI thru a 3" pipe.....so I understand volume and pressure accordingly.

Restriction in oil flow would also cause other running issues correct?? Truck runs every day with NO performance issues. ZERO. MPGs are well within the history I have observed, nothing "wierd" has been happening, nothing to report.

TonyG

Reaction score
Very true about pump compactly.... What's your split like? Meaning where do they normally run temp wise?

TonyG

Reaction score
A low pres oil issue won't always cause and running issue as long as its still filling the hpop resivor then the hpop doesn't kno any different.....

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
In town under 45MPH...say 9-108....HWY 70+ 14* easily. EOT will drop easily (say under 30 seconds) depending on vehicle speed and conditions.

Say I'm on the HWY, exit to a 40 MPH road....ECT will drop 2-3* within a minute. ECT will do the same but the split is closer.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
A low pres oil issue won't always cause and running issue as long as its still filling the hpop resivor then the hpop doesn't kno any different.....

I wasn't sure so I checked the PSI at the EOT port to Ford's manual. PSI was on par with their directions. :fustrate::fustrate::fustrate:

Latest posts

Members online