Oil temps really high

Mdub707

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just got his first diesel, a 2003 6.0. He's had a bad string of luck already, even though he's doing everything right. Long story short, it overheated when he was a long way from home, and it had to be dropped off at the local Ford dealer. He had just done a new oil cooler and an EGR delete. He was running Eric's x-street tune, basically stock otherwise, on 37" tires and stock gearing. The truck kept pegging coolant temp. They diagnosed it as bad headgaskets... I think he got two new heads, gaskets, studs etc...

Fast forward to now, truck seems to be running great, but he's noticing coolant temp is steady at around 190-200, and oil temp goes up to 240.... what the heck is going on here? Has a new oil cooler too... thoughts? This is just cruising down the highway.

yeehaw

Reaction score
maybe too much gunk in the system and it plugged up again LOL, but i would almost guess maybe the oil temp sensor or engine temp sensor is screwy?

Snake

Reaction score
Mike, I'd bet the farm the oil cooler is clogged again. Almost exactly the same delta and symptoms I was seeing a few months ago. Other than a 40* ECT/EOT temp difference and the scary high EOT, I wasn't having any other issues. Don't ask me why, but a lot of dealerships flush the coolant AFTER the new cooler is installed. That was the procedure for a long time, and I don't know if it was ever officially changed or if some shops just went rogue and started flushing before the new oil cooler was installed.

It's crap like this that pushed me towards the BPD kit.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
The oil cooler was done probably 1 week before the gaskets let loose and the work was done. Seriously, it's a NEW cooler...

You think it's clogged again already? I'm sure he's not going to be happy to hear this...

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
High pressure oil leak could cause temps to raise

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Snake

Reaction score
The oil cooler was done probably 1 week before the gaskets let loose and the work was done. Seriously, it's a NEW cooler...

You think it's clogged again already? I'm sure he's not going to be happy to hear this...

If the install was done right, I don't know what else it could be. Especially if he doesn't have any other symptoms. Maybe he could contact the dealership that did the work and see if they flushed the coolant. And if they did, was it done before or after the install?

The only other thing I could think of is a restriction on the oil side that's preventing flow through the oil cooler. I'd start by checking the oil filter and oil filter housing. Things get to be a PITA after that.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
If put my my money on the cooler being clogged again since a ween later they did the gaskets. They probably flushed it, and stirred up a bunch of crap. Guess where it wound up?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mdub707

Reaction score
I texted him and asked him... he said the oil temps seem fine now!? But he's pushing coolant out the cap again... literally after he just dropped almost $8k at the dealership on getting studs done.

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
I've also got high EOT when towing 250° my coolant always is about 20-30° lower then the oil. I'm not concerned. Never had any problems. Truck runs hard and I've never had studs or gaskets. Egr cooler is coming off soon. Gonna do a oil cooler relocate and hope its worth all the work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah that's out of control! 250* oil temp is NOT normal.

My buddy is bringing it back to Ford. I asked him if he was bringing it back to the dealer that did the work, he said no. I asked if the local dealer was going to honor non-warranty work done by another dealer, his response was "my lawyer says they will" hahahah, sounds like he's getting it taken care of.

Latest posts

Members online