Oil temps

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I still have not wrapped my head around everyones high temp issues. I tow regularly. Just finished towing gvcwr at 22,000lbs and itsa fifth wheel, 39ft at 13ft tall. And I live in the humid south.

I never see over 215-218 eot.

But I also manually drive my truck. I may drop to 4th gear maintaining the speed limit. 65-70mph.

Im on my 3rd 6.7L and none of them have had an eot issue....

So I got to ask out of curiosity, what is the state of the truck when you guys are seeing high eot's?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I might consider synthetic change first. Then see if that does anything for me. jimdawg185 you have any suggestions on a good quality natural oil/brand that you would consider?

I sell one of the best oils for this engine I've seen analysis on. There's tons of reviews in my section on it.
Shoot me a text and I ship right to your door. All of my oils are F1 Ford spec or CJ4 retro Ford allowed as well.
616-460-9949

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
man I haven't even been paying attention to the oil temp but now yall have me worried. I change with Rotella T6 every 6k miles (fuel filters then too) but I probably tow 12-15k a couple times a week. guess I need to start paying attention

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I think Mike was using the front mount oil cooler with a thermostat, and it was air cooled not coolant cooled

Not sure if he has a stat or not, definitely air cooled. The unit works great! Two things keep me from it. One, Corbin told me the holes aren't quite the right size. He wasn't comfortable with it till he had someone fab up the correct sizing. Second, in cold climates the stat is a really good idea. Even my stupid good MRV spec oil took 20 seconds to build pressure when it was 0 degrees out. Even plugged in.
I'm working on a different solution right now that Corbin will beat the hell out of fir everyone. I'm hoping testing can start in October.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
man I haven't even been paying attention to the oil temp but now yall have me worried. I change with Rotella T6 every 6k miles (fuel filters then too) but I probably tow 12-15k a couple times a week. guess I need to start paying attention

That's a great PM for that oil! You will be fine.

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
That's a great PM for that oil! You will be fine.

sorry for my ignorance but what's PM? we get a good discount on Rotella due to our fleet needs so I've just been using it in all our powerstrokes (typically all are changed at 6k miles).

Just curious, are you fairly knowledgeable on grease? We've switched to CAT's black grease (forgot the name lol) and have found it to be head and shoulders performance wise above the old Shell red drums we were buying. the stuff is much "tackier" as far as not working it way out of pinned connections at buckets and cylinders on machinery. it costs a lot more but there's definitely not as much waste with CAT grease in our daily grease maintenance of all fittings on our excavators, dozers, pans and other machinery. that old red **** just oozed and leaked out of all pinned connections in the summer time heat here in NC whereas the CAT grease sticks around longer

jimmystoys

Reaction score
Just make sure it's not CK4. It's not F1 yet

jimdawg185, what do all these abbreviations mean? Not trying to be stupid
about this, just uneducated about oils. Do most people know what they're buying? Or is it mostly good marketing and hype that drives the purchases?

JRLott

Reaction score
sorry for my ignorance but what's PM? we get a good discount on Rotella due to our fleet needs so I've just been using it in all our powerstrokes (typically all are changed at 6k miles).

Just curious, are you fairly knowledgeable on grease? We've switched to CAT's black grease (forgot the name lol) and have found it to be head and shoulders performance wise above the old Shell red drums we were buying. the stuff is much "tackier" as far as not working it way out of pinned connections at buckets and cylinders on machinery. it costs a lot more but there's definitely not as much waste with CAT grease in our daily grease maintenance of all fittings on our excavators, dozers, pans and other machinery. that old red **** just oozed and leaked out of all pinned connections in the summer time heat here in NC whereas the CAT grease sticks around longer

PM = Preventive Maintenance or oil change interval (OCI).
I can text you my oil analysis of my T6 with 5K on it and the following 2 analysis with Jim's LE8854 at 9,800 miles and 11,800 miles, if you'd like. Then you can talk to Jim about how it would work for your fleet. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you about the piles of reports he has as well.
Talk to lincolnlocker about Jim's grease. He loves it on the machinery he/his coworkers maintain.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
I still have not wrapped my head around everyones high temp issues. I tow regularly. Just finished towing gvcwr at 22,000lbs and itsa fifth wheel, 39ft at 13ft tall. And I live in the humid south.

I never see over 215-218 eot.

But I also manually drive my truck. I may drop to 4th gear maintaining the speed limit. 65-70mph.

Im on my 3rd 6.7L and none of them have had an eot issue....

So I got to ask out of curiosity, what is the state of the truck when you guys are seeing high eot's?

CATDiezel. I can't believe your temps are so low! You've indicated your speeds have been up around 65-70mph towing all that weight....would that be downhill? I'll hope not lol. In my situation my experiences have been on our great Coquihalla Hwy...'The Coke'. We are talking about grades increasing from 5-8.5%. We have one highway here that is a 6.5% grade (Kelowna to Merrit) that goes for about 30 miles in my estimation. That's a long uphill drive. I'm sure there's harder passes than that in your great country. But this one I tell you is a vehicle killer! Your temps must be higher than what you state. I just can't see it being that low. What am I missing?

ncollins64

Reaction score
I'll agree with CAT. My 6.7 was just ******d, lifted on 37s, and stock oil cooler etc. I'm running the LE 8854 and when towing 20k down the hwy or up passes my oil temps never got over 220, and I don't drive the truck easy either. I'll run between 75-80 also. Mostly stayed around 215 when loaded and around 200 when empty. These are accurate numbers with a stand alone temp sensor. My 7.3 dropped 12 deg right off the bat when I changed oils from syn delo to LE.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
CATDiezel. I can't believe your temps are so low! You've indicated your speeds have been up around 65-70mph towing all that weight....would that be downhill? I'll hope not lol. In my situation my experiences have been on our great Coquihalla Hwy...'The Coke'. We are talking about grades increasing from 5-8.5%. We have one highway here that is a 6.5% grade (Kelowna to Merrit) that goes for about 30 miles in my estimation. That's a long uphill drive. I'm sure there's harder passes than that in your great country. But this one I tell you is a vehicle killer! Your temps must be higher than what you state. I just can't see it being that low. What am I missing?

Your missing manually driving the truck.....

Ive towed heavier at 75mph.... no big deal 215-218 eot....

I know what im looking at fwiw... lol :eek:

This is not a conversation about a specific pass at 6% for 30 miles.... the point to be made is not everything in life is "automatic". Much like the exhaust brake on the 15-up. You want it to really put out you need to manually downshift and keep rpm's above 2000.

Fwiw..... your fine at 230 240. I see hundreds of oil samples yearly on $10m engines. Jim may disagree but I disagree with him on hot oil. Ive seen too many industrial engines run 230ish for countless hours days years, when torn down for a scheduled overhaul.... they look fine... measure fine and go again.

Jomax

Reaction score

This is not a conversation about a specific pass at 6% for 30 miles.... the point to be made is not everything in life is "automatic". Much like the exhaust brake on the 15-up. You want it to really put out you need to manually downshift and keep rpm's above 2000.

Fwiw..... your fine at 230 240. I see hundreds of oil samples yearly on $10m engines. Jim may disagree but I disagree with him on hot oil. Ive seen too many industrial engines run 230ish for countless hours days years, when torn down for a scheduled overhaul.... they look fine... measure fine and go again.

My oil temp will reach 240 towing easily. But I also run it in the race tune. I see 210 unloaded sometimes in 110 degree weather.

jimdawg185

Reaction score

I don't think we disagree, I'm just stating an industry baseline that oxidative life drops in half for every 10 C increase in temps. So if you hold it there the life shortens. If your PM is on point for the application, which I believe we have discussed before and we agreed there as well, then you shouldn't have any problems.
I also agree with manually driving the truck under heavy loads. But there's also something funky monkey with the oil temps. Before I changed my OEM fill oil on my 17 I got to 215-218 regularly without a load behind the truck. Oil tested fine as well. It's come down since considerably, but I've also added a gallon of capacity with my bypass. I don't think the factory cooler does as good of a job as it should. Is it hurting anyone, probably not.

My point, change your oil according to application.
My ag trucks on Delo need to be changed at 10k. The oil is **** with much more.
Same Delo can go 40k in an OTR application.

Can better oils go farther, yes. But that's not my point, that's why I used Delo as the example. I've got Komatsu 960s going 3000 hours without the sentinel on 8800 where Mobil 1 was having problems at 800 hours with the sentinel. Komatsu Cummins set us up for failure in Chile for that test and we murdered it. And the problems with Mobil 1 were diagnosed by the Komatsu Cummins of Chile people. I think that's where we always disagree my friend. Hopefully without being disagreeable. I just think we are coming from two different perspectives sometimes.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
I'll agree with CAT. My 6.7 was just ******d, lifted on 37s, and stock oil cooler etc. I'm running the LE 8854 and when towing 20k down the hwy or up passes my oil temps never got over 220, and I don't drive the truck easy either. I'll run between 75-80 also. Mostly stayed around 215 when loaded and around 200 when empty. These are accurate numbers with a stand alone temp sensor. My 7.3 dropped 12 deg right off the bat when I changed oils from syn delo to LE.

You have good numbers my friend. I'm also ******d. Difference maybe my lift and 40's? Really I'm not complaining about my temps just trying to get general opinions of everyone else's situation. I am however impressed with the ability of the 6.7 to cool down once I decide to ease up on it. It is a satisfying ride I must say. I'm wondering if Ram and Chevy's have similar situations?

Jomax

Reaction score
Cruising at 80, in 105 degree weather, my oil temp is 210 unloaded. Is something wrong?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I don't think we disagree, I'm just stating an industry baseline that oxidative life drops in half for every 10 C increase in temps. So if you hold it there the life shortens. If your PM is on point for the application, which I believe we have discussed before and we agreed there as well, then you shouldn't have any problems.
I also agree with manually driving the truck under heavy loads. But there's also something funky monkey with the oil temps. Before I changed my OEM fill oil on my 17 I got to 215-218 regularly without a load behind the truck. Oil tested fine as well. It's come down since considerably, but I've also added a gallon of capacity with my bypass. I don't think the factory cooler does as good of a job as it should. Is it hurting anyone, probably not.

My point, change your oil according to application.
My ag trucks on Delo need to be changed at 10k. The oil is **** with much more.
Same Delo can go 40k in an OTR application.

Can better oils go farther, yes. But that's not my point, that's why I used Delo as the example. I've got Komatsu 960s going 3000 hours without the sentinel on 8800 where Mobil 1 was having problems at 800 hours with the sentinel. Komatsu Cummins set us up for failure in Chile for that test and we murdered it. And the problems with Mobil 1 were diagnosed by the Komatsu Cummins of Chile people. I think that's where we always disagree my friend. Hopefully without being disagreeable. I just think we are coming from two different perspectives sometimes.

I will certainly agree with big oil corps degrading their own oil and making the bottle fancier.

F wiw. I'm running surplus RP 15w40. It's now 9 years old. I send in samples and it tests perfect, of course I've kept it stirred and out of the sun also...

I just simply don't have oil temp related issues.

Jomax my cruise temp unloaded at 80 is about 205-208. Ambient 85-95

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You have good numbers my friend. I'm also ******d. Difference maybe my lift and 40's? Really I'm not complaining about my temps just trying to get general opinions of everyone else's situation. I am however impressed with the ability of the 6.7 to cool down once I decide to ease up on it. It is a satisfying ride I must say. I'm wondering if Ram and Chevy's have similar situations?

Your rolling negative inertia presents a constant engine load which never gives your pistols a break!

Sullys450

Reaction score
My 2014 Cummins would get to 240 hauling my camper, my 2016 F450 will get to 247 hauling my camper, my 2017 F350 gets to 230 EOT and 230 Trans temp towing my 10K lbs horse trailer.

I'm of the opinion now that I don't want to know what my oil temp is numerically. I just want to watch the damn gauge that shows it in the normal range.

jimmystoys

Reaction score
My 2014 Cummins would get to 240 hauling my camper, my 2016 F450 will get to 247 hauling my camper, my 2017 F350 gets to 230 EOT and 230 Trans temp towing my 10K lbs horse trailer.

I'm of the opinion now that I don't want to know what my oil temp is numerically. I just want to watch the damn gauge that shows it in the normal range.

Lol. Maybe your right Sullys450.