ok clutch time, need some input

sgleshot

Reaction score
ok, time for some input people. Had my clutch let go on me over the weekend, got everything pulled apart and it looks like a spring let go. couple quesitons, how do i tell if there is the updated clutch fork in there? reason I ask is because its clear that someones been in there before and the fork looks very new and has very little wear if any, if anything could someone give me the part number for the upgraded one?. Next, I will be going with the southbend con ofe clutch, anyone have any recomendations for where I can get one complete with flywheel, pilot, throwout, the whole 9?

2011-10-09_12-55-21_700.png

2011-10-09_18-54-17_11.png

2011-10-09_18-54-33_433.png

2011-10-09_18-54-45_972.png

V-Ref

Reaction score
Just checked my receipts...YC3Z-7515-BB is the new one. Look closely on your clutch fork, it should be stamped on the other side near the matches..... if the part number ends in -BA it's the old one. If you google the part number you'll see some pics. South Bend has treated me right. Try Jake @ Irate Diesel. If your future power goals involve more than 475 hp /900 tq, you'll need to look at a different clutch.

sgleshot

Reaction score
cool, I just ordered the new fork today, i got the fork and pivot for $30, and I got the clutch ordered. I dont see myself getting any crazier than what this clutch will handle, i have to drive it every day.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I'm loving the Con OFE in my dually. I've got over 20k miles on it now and NO complaints. The ZF6 is a little tired though...

I strongly recommend machining the flywheel to accept a 6.0 pilot bearing and ditch the stock POS pilot. I'm on my 3rd kevlar bushing, so that is not the end-all answer either - but like I said, my trans has 330k on it and prolly has some play in it that is not helping.

sgleshot

Reaction score
ya i got mine in last week, I'm almost done with break in, lovin the con ofe so far, The pilot was toast when I took the old clutch out, bearings missin and everything, the input was chewed up a bit so I just emory papered it and polished it, smashed the whole thing back together and the trans in general is about 10x quieter than before, my trans only has 140k on it so its still fairly tight. but ya so far so good, its handling the dually well, especially since she weighs in around 9500 with all my gear and tools in it.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
The hydraulics, and the whole clutch setup in front of the zf6 is a failure on fords part. Its to bad because the tranny itself in my opinion is great!

On another note, who did you end up getting your clutch from?

sgleshot

Reaction score
The hydraulics, and the whole clutch setup in front of the zf6 is a failure on fords part. Its to bad because the tranny itself in my opinion is great!

On another note, who did you end up getting your clutch from?

i agree, I like the fact that the slave can be removed easily and checked, I did get the upgraded clutch fork from ford, and its clearly better than what was in there, alot more reinforcement. I love the zf 6, I wish that some of the gaps between gears were a little closer but not much ya can do about that.

I actually got the clutch through The Little Power Shop in Bradford Pa, they didnt have it in stock but drop shipped it to me in 2 days with the flywheel, and everything else i needed (minus the clutch fork that I got from ford for $30) for $890 shipped to my door. They were great to deal with and got me back on the road quick.

Fly By Night

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting clutch forks? My loco I mean local ferd dealer wants $53 for one. Seems steep for a stamped piece of steel.

Latest posts

Members online