Ok whats next?

FreddyM

Reaction score
Just enlisted...deserted the 'nation

Mods in my sig...

kinda played with my friends chevy 2500 04 LLY EFI live on 37s with 4.10s
I was rolling with the 250 tune and it had just drizzled and wow, We both kinda spun when we hit it at 20ph but i was barely ahead the whole time and gone at 55 once that TC locked.
did it once again, same thing!

He's getting a FASS and Injectors and a turbo and going back to 35s...now I'm worried...

so whats my next move?
Batmowheel, HD300 and an air dog maybe?

don't want to blow my tranny or studs just yet!
but how is it possible it was even a close race!:doh:

FreddyM

Reaction score
thanks!
I want to keep my MiniMaxx, i like it. i can download the HD300 whenever i want, just don't wanna trash the tranny or blow a head gasket....i don't beat on the truck at all, i just wanna be able to enjoy it and put the hammer down when necessary....
HD300 a big difference to the canned 250? How about the KEM 345 or 310?

and dieselcraft....I do mods here and there when i get a chance, will eventually look into studs and a tranny...but i wanna keep it moderate and not destroy too many things

FreddyM

Reaction score
I used to have a 2wd quad cab Ram 1500 Hemi, intake, tune, exhaust. PP Heads,updated5.7 hemi Intake manifold and I used to still beat this duramax.
now it seems his 4.10s made a HUGE difference...

these Duramaxes EFI live seem pretty quick.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Lol download that HD300 and youll never want to go back!!! ... But seriously. Always keep in mind, its not if your head studs/gaskets will go but when.... Trannys seem to hold up well. Air dog and 71mm atmosphere, over the batmowheel, full exhaust including downpipe if you dont have one.

FreddyM

Reaction score
madman, I got an SDP downpipe and a 5 inch flopro straight exhaust sitting in my garage, just haven't had the time to put it on. Im going to go with the batmowheel or the 71mm, just don't know how much is enough yet.
i feel if i download the HD300 and slap the 71 in there, i will get on it once and boom....cab up time....haha

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
If you're not 100% understanding and ready to do a tranny or studs at any given time I'd stick with the 250 tune. When your at the upper levels of tuning you gotta be prepaired for it to happen tomorrow, even though it might be 2 years from now...

Put that DP and 5" on, it'll sound way better :drool:

Then if you have the money set aside/ready for studs or tranny put the 300 in it and let'r rip!

madman1234509

Reaction score
Madman, what rim and tire setup is that in your picture? is yours a f350 by any chance as well?

I have an f 350 newton 2.5" leveling kit and 5" blocks on the rear. The tires in my avatar are ones im actually trying to sell now that came on the rims when I bought them. The rims are 20x10" greg weld wheels, the current tires I have are 35/12.5/R20 toyo mts. The tires are the same size as the ones in my avatar, I just didnt like them. Also the truck looks like the rear is way higher in the avatar, its actually perfectly level, just the ground being unlevel.... Going to be lowering it down with 33" nitto 420s once my current tires are worn.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_44.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_44.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 55
  • imagejpeg_2_43.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_43.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 403481_4254951736820_281212995_n.jpg
    403481_4254951736820_281212995_n.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 53

FreddyM

Reaction score
Lovin PSDs-
Gunna put the exhaust on tomorrow or Friday, finally got some time!
I wanna do my studs before something happens so I have nice and leveled heads and not something else to worry about. Thanks!

Madman- I love the look! I have a 2.5 newton up front with bilstein 5100 and radius arm drops and it actually rides wayyyy better than stock, the steering is even tighter. The rear is a 5 inch block attached to my newton traction bars.
I had my rims and 35s before the level and it was just a little too stuffed....now it's perfect. I had 33s on when I first had the truck but just wanna change it up!
All my friends sit on 6 inch+ lifts so I kinda stand out. It's a crazy diesel world down here in south Florida !

madman1234509

Reaction score
My 35" toyos look way better than those kumho all terrains that are on it in those pictures I uploaded, and fit perfect with the leveling kit. Im still debating on what shocks to get because I want to lower it to stock, or just lower than stock and I dont think the billstein 5160s that I wanted will work well if the truck is lowered. Probably end up with the 5100s

Also, if the truck hasnt been beaten on too much and you dont have head gasket problems, you may be able to get away with doing a head stud job, one at a time, with the heads on, and may not even need to worry about gaskets. Its not the gaskets that go bad so much as the stock head bolts being weak and stretching. Itll save you quite a bit of money doing it that way if you can. Most people dont do a head stud/gasket job until they have problems, thats why you dont see it much, but search it, I know there is a write up somewhere of people doing it!

FreddyM

Reaction score
I've herd of people doing it cab-on. But wouldn't it be better to throw some fresh OEM gaskets in regardless?
I wouldn't shy away from doing it myself and it would be the cost of studs 700 bucks plus my labor...doesn't sound bad.
My trail grapplers are horrible tires and loud and wear quick, my next set will be Toyo MTs for sure.. I have a buddy who did F250 Gas bomb coils and pulled the blocks in the rear on 33s and it looks very good! Just not practical for me

madman1234509

Reaction score
go to the "shopping" tab on google and search something along the lines of arps for a 2008 6.4... I found mine on some random site for 480 shipped....

Also its not like it would hurt to do gaskets, but a lot of the times its not the gaskets going bad, its the studs stretching. If the truck is fine and you havent beaten on it daily Id try to get away with just doing studs. Dont forget if you take the heads off you need to buy all necessary gaskets, and all of the high pressure fuel lines because they are one time use only. I dont think you need to take them off to do just studs.

But again, taking the heads off, getting them checked for cracks, decked, new gaskets, and putting it all back on, does give a piece of mind. But be ready for the cost. Most of the time you cant fix the cracks and new heads are 1400 for the pair from ford. Maybe someone else who has done the one stud at a time technique can chime in and let us know how they made out

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I bash mine on the 300hd tune, trans is still holding up and have not had it puke once on me yet.

Just letting the OP know he should be prepared and understand it CAN happen sooner than you hope. :thumbup:

I had 3 trans (including stock) go in 5k miles..But that's a different story

Last edited:

FreddyM

Reaction score
Tx-powerstroke- I know plenty of people who do the same! Including one who now blows coolant all over the left side of the truck! As someone said, it's not if, it's when.
There are literally NO shops down here that do performance diesel work and the ones that claim they do I wouldn't trust my daily driver with.

How much are you guys paying for studs new gaskets and fuel lines?
I've heard parts and labor from 2500 to 4000, seems like everyone pays different.

powersmokin64

Reaction score
Well I have about 30k only running high hp with no problems. 300hd is a nice tune imo and if you keep out of the skinny pedal most of the time you're not going to mess up your truck. You are actually accomplishing more with less throttle

Latest posts

Members online