On the fence

CSIPSD

Reaction score
It depends who you have tuning it, the 400% nozzle is going to need to be live tuned in my opinion. I believe your going to Spokane to have cale do it, if that is the case go with the 400%....reading old threads wont help you much because todays tuning is so much more refined. A 400% used to be competition use only, but that has changed.

Go 400/400 and with a wastegated s400 and call it a day...

with 400s i would suggest more nitrous, liquid turbo is needed to burn all that. But then again you are working with rods that wouldnt appreciate that.

It would be ideal to have it gated, but if you cant swing both before time comes, it would make more sense to have injectors in

His old 7.3 did 616/1258 with 300/200s and 72mm charger.

Well I valid your point, Martys vid is a testament that it is all in the tuning.

Do you mind sharing more info on your build list ? Whose sticks ? Turbo and tuning ?

His old truck never ran more then 2-3k at a time before he would change something or some tuner or some turbo...

Then he live tuned it one last time, dynoed and parted it out...

He has little experance with these trucks, and about the only thing he knows is what he has read...

Durp durp

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
His old truck never ran more then 2-3k at a time before he would change something or some tuner or some turbo...

He has little experance with these trucks, and about the only thing he knows is what he has read...

Bingo. We have a winner.....

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I never ran larger than 200% nozzles, but i did run them plenty to learn a bunch from them.

I wouldnt hesitate to go larger than 200% if you have the tuning available to you.

Regardless if I "know nothing, expect what I read"..... I dont think you can argue with evidence, a 400 can be daily driveable, thanks Marty for the proof

Cat_rebel

Reaction score

He has little experience with these trucks, and about the only thing he knows is what he has read...

Thank you

I never ran larger than 200% nozzles, but i did run them plenty to learn a bunch from them.

I wouldnt hesitate to go larger than 200% if you have the tuning available to you.

Regardless if I "know nothing, expect what I read"..... I dont think you can argue with evidence, a 400 can be daily driveable, thanks Marty for the proof

If it's so simple to detune a 400% nozzle then why hasn't everyone done it? Marty's truck is a very good running truck. But for as many trucks on the street with 400s that run around daily there are way more that had the 400s removed because people got sick of a nozzle that large.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Thank you

If it's so simple to detune a 400% nozzle then why hasn't everyone done it? Marty's truck is a very good running truck. But for as many trucks on the street with 400s that run around daily there are way more that had the 400s removed because people got sick of a nozzle that large.

I agree! How many of those guys actually spent the time and effort to get them dialed in correctly.

Blowby and Marty seem to love theirs!

I am also not saying I would run one, because I know what it takes to get it to run correctly. I am just saying its possible, and for what he is looking for it might be fun to try!

Short Bus

Reaction score
I've been sitting staying out of this but only a handful of guys are running these then to me it's not something that should be recommended on a street truck unless someone is willing to have a complete pos truck to drive. IMO the op has room to grow with 200's and not lose any drive ability. 200's were the absolute best nozzle I've ran on large injectors, 400s are the worst. 200's netted me just shy of 600hp out of 238's, (5-6 years ago)only reason we didn't get more was we were at the limit of the injector. Turbos, injectors and tuning has come a long ways since then so i dont think 650 or maybe a tad more is out of the question AND still have something my wife or mother could jump in and haul a header to the field with out blowing the engine or smoking the state out in the process. I got the best fuel mileage and towing out of the 200's even over stock and 100's. When I have time and room in the shop the injectors will be coming out and back to 200% we go. I'm fed up with having a sh1tty smokey pig, yes it runs and runs well but drive ability sucks ass and fuel mileage is terrible with all 3 or 4 tuners I have tried. You tards at vision diesel should get out and try more products instead of jumping the gun and opening up a shop just because you think you know something. Our sport is in danger because guys like you sell parts that you don't have experience with thus creating a smokey pos truck that's driving around smoking like a freight train from every stop.

Powersmoker

Reaction score
I truly believe you could daily drive a 400/400 injector with the proper tuning. At DPC 2010, with a S480 single charger, I was able to do 22 mpg virtually smoke free. With it de-tuned, it makes around 20 psi max.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Brian, Marty made a comment that it seems the PMT1 trucks take better then the 02-03 PCMs. (my truck)

Seeing as I have live tuning comming up it could be worked around. My biggest concern is ending up with what Luke said. I do NOT want to pull my injectors because I hate the 400s because I cant drive the truck.
Your truck seems to be more geared for competition. Do you think with an s475 you would be fine to drive it everyday in various weather and conditions ?

Marty

Reaction score
My advice from the get-go was decide what is the most important goal. 11's on fuel or streetability.

A 300/200 will get him very close if not into the 11's on fuel.
400/400s with a 75mm will do it no questions asked.

Obviously the smaller 71mm and 200% nozzle will be easier to drive on the street.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I had a good talk with Nate.

After his opinion Im just gonna go with a 400/200 with mods, the gen3 and most likely throw an s475 compressor wheel on the turbo.

See what that nets me, and if need be spray it.

400/400s I think will be to much for what my intent with the truck is. And in the worst case scenario I cant make the live tuning its not a crap shoot over the phone.

TARM

Reaction score
Dieselboy,

You made a very good choice IMO. I think the 200% with all the tweaks are the ideal street setup. I am running basically the same injectors you are running from Nate as well. With a X4294r and that is one sweet setup.

While I fully know 400% can be made to work excellent on the street, from the info from Charles, Blowby, Marty et, as a DD and without noticeable negatives, I think it takes a good amount of work getting that tune dialed in just so. Charles, Blowby, etc guys that have these nozzles running perfect on the street, ask them how many or how much total tuning time/tweaks they have done, over all, counting any changes they made getting to this point of 400% nirvana. I think you will see it takes a tremendous amount of time. Most are doing their own tuning so its not as big of a deal.

Tuners have now been getting more experience with these larger nozzles so they can likely get you close faster but I still think you are in for a good number of changes and updates before you would get to that ideal DD tune. If I lived right down the street from Matt or another great tuner 400% would be more appealing. But without that I think I would just end up with exactly the situation Short Bus described. A smokey beast that only runs good at WOT.

From my experience (not much) and what I have heard from others with tons more its extremely hard to beat the crispness of a 200% nozzle. Plain and simple. I think its the best "all around" performance nozzle choice for the 7.3 on the street. To go with that, I think a turbo that flows and performs in the same range like that of the GTx4294r is the single turbo match for it.

Latest posts

Members online