One bad Injector - so far

7point3

Reaction score
My first diesel, 2001 f250....160k, bought it with 155k. I dont think any injectors have been replaced. I would like to replace them all, along with new gaskets/harnesses.....aint gonna happen:

Spent too much money at Christmas, and my two year old grandson just FUBARED my two month old 60 inch plasma (@ $2K). I have other stuff to drive but the other tvs are too small now............ Priorities:D

Anyway...to the point......I do need to get it going so I just want to gamble (my labor) and hope one will be all it needs for awhile. Does the domino principle usually apply here, like next week another goes , then another, etc ??

I dont want to have to leave it down for a few months, but I will if I am gonna have to replace 1 every month or something.

Thanks

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
How do you know 1 is bad?

My suggestion would be to pull them out (all 8) and send them to a shop to have a stock rebuild done. For 600-850 you can have them totally gone through and rebuilt up to OEM spec, re o-ringed, and your truck will be happier than when it was new.

But as far as a domino effect, if you TRUELY have just 1 bad injector you can replace it and be good to go. You wont lose another one just because you replaced the bad one.

More food for thought: Sometimes a truck with a hard life and weak injectors may seem like its got only 1 bad one, when in reality that is the good one and the other 7 are really weak. In fact the noisiest one is generally the one doing the best (from what ive found)

7point3

Reaction score
How do you know 1 is bad?

My suggestion would be to pull them out (all 8) and send them to a shop to have a stock rebuild done. For 600-850 you can have them totally gone through and rebuilt up to OEM spec, re o-ringed, and your truck will be happier than when it was new.

But as far as a domino effect, if you TRUELY have just 1 bad injector you can replace it and be good to go. You wont lose another one just because you replaced the bad one.

More food for thought: Sometimes a truck with a hard life and weak injectors may seem like its got only 1 bad one, when in reality that is the good one and the other 7 are really weak. In fact the noisiest one is generally the one doing the best (from what ive found)

Thanks
The rebuild thing is what I would lean toward eventually. I can get 1 r/b several places for 130-175 minus core. I am pretty sure it's #8. It always clacked, now it doesn't, and the bad idle and sickly sweet rich white smoke leads me that way. I havent really had time to do anything to it at all. I was going to pull off the valve cover and see if it is getting oil, unplug it, etc. I did the spray bottle on the exhaust manifold and it appears that its the one.

dietoremain

Reaction score
Yeah #8's always seem to wear out a lil faster, just replace it and continue, i'd say you got some good miles left on the rest of those injectors! :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.