opinions needed

Biggreen96

Reaction score
Ok guys need some opinions and advice. Had a 23 yr female side swipe me last Friday hitting the axle and rear bumper on the passenger side as i was turning into my driveway. I havent had a good chance to look over the axle and check it real good. she hit hard enough to make the rear tire contact the springs(she was driving a toyota corolla so tells you she was going a little fast). What i am wondering is what should i look for or at to make sure the axle is good to go and not damaged at all. I know i need to check the disc brake convertion and associated parts, but what about internals. Give me advice and suggestions guys.

Tom S

Reaction score
I guess I would start by seeing of the tire now wobbles at all.

Biggreen96

Reaction score
Tom thats one thing getting checked out but im worried about my disc brake setup and the posi unit . I had to give the truck a little gas to get it to move after being hit so im worried about the gears and bearings being impacted.

PsRumors

Reaction score
Bent axle and or tube. Get it on an alignment machine and see how bad it is. Also need to check you u-bolts, shackle bolts etc for being bent.

Biggreen96

Reaction score
Well she wasnt too bad looking, but my wife may have something to say about it.lol Apparently she went and got insurance that day so hoping they pick up the tab on this one.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
OH!! You were asking for advice on the truck!!

I wouldn't reuse that axle. Axles are cheap, get a new one. You can check it for runout on the axle and wheel itself by using a dial indicator on the wheel while rotating it.

This will not tell you if your axle tube is bent though. If it was hit that hard I'd get a new or used one.

Biggreen96

Reaction score
Yeah thats my concern, but i have an issue with doing the axle because i have a disc brake conversion on the axle along with locker and dont know if the insurance is going to replace those and the axle because i dont trust anyone else to do the disc setup but myself being i installed it in the first place.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
If insurance is involved they will probably pay you what a shop will charge to do the work. You can do it yourself in a saturday for much less and have money left at the end of it. I'd call it a good thing. I would expect insurance to cover a new axle. They might even try to total the truck with that repair.

Biggreen96

Reaction score
Lucky for me all my upgrades are included and covered by insurance, so totaling it would take a lot. Even if they did i would buy it back and make the repairs and have money left over to make more upgrades.

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
Do you have a stated value policy? Otherwise totalling a car happens at 75% of BB value.

I don't think it's a huge concern for you, but you need to figure this out. We went through it on my wife's mustang. It's a 1996 with 40k miles on it in like new condition. BB value is around 6k, but it's worth closer to twice that because it's brand new. We have a stated value policy. Basically me and my insurance company agree it's worth 10k regardless of what it's actually worth and they charge me premiums based on that amount and pay out based on that amount too.

Biggreen96

Reaction score
I do believe its a stated value because my rims, tires, hell even the front warn bumper is covered. Even the entire stereo system is covered. They asked the value of everything when i had an inspection done by my insurance.

Latest posts

Members online