Opinions on buying a truck

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Hey guys I found a 6.0 that caught my eye and I'm considering going to look at the truck and possibly trading my truck in on it... I figured I would post up a link here and get some opinions from other people who have gone from a 7.3 to a 6.0, I'm just not sure its worth getting rid of my platinum over. Once you stud and delete a 6.0 how reliable can they be? I dont plan to do much more then exhaust and tuner. Here is a link to the truck... Thanks ahead of time for your opinions

http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers/mincerfordinc/used-inventory?&_eventId_vehicledetails=true&vin=1FTNW21P04EC02258&dealerPACode=20016&certifiedPreownedImg=false

Keanoknick

Reaction score
I'll likely get flamed for this, but here goes-

I feel that if you do a proper stud job, with OEM gaskets, and a full EGR delete, that the 6.0 is just as reliable as the 7.3. :flame suit on:

Yes they still have a few other issues, but so does the 7.3 (cps...)

smokedout250

Reaction score

I feel that if you do a proper stud job, with OEM gaskets, and a full EGR delete, that the 6.0 is just as reliable as the 7.3. :flame suit on:

I would agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score

other then ficm and injector issues...

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I have been doing alot of reading and thats the general conclusion I am coming to. I test drove the truck Thursday and was really impressed with it. I know that i definitely want a 6.0 now.

Reaction score
I just made the switch--absolutely love the truck. I limited myself to 05 and up for the coil suspension--rides like a dream compared to my 97 brick. Leaving the house in an hour for Marty's to stud and delete!!

alwil

Reaction score

I feel that if you do a proper stud job, with OEM gaskets, and a full EGR delete, that the 6.0 is just as reliable as the 7.3.
It is possible yes....but it totaly depends on who is doing the studs and gaskets, so really its still luck of the draw.I was at 65K when my heads and egr delete were done by Ford.....I now have 150K on the truck....I feel pretty lucky considering most people will tell you Ford techs dont do them good enough.

other then ficm and injector issues...

I have 150k on my stock injectors.....with no cold start issues.
2nd Ficm though.

Keanoknick

Reaction score
It is possible yes....but it totaly depends on who is doing the studs and gaskets, so really its still luck of the draw.I was at 65K when my heads and egr delete were done by Ford.....I now have 150K on the truck....I feel pretty lucky considering most people will tell you Ford techs dont do them good enough.

2nd Ficm though.

I fully agree, hence the reason I said "proper stud job" as many will not do it right.
I had mine done at Ford at about 70k miles, tech put in my ARP's for me, and forgot to put the washer's on, luckily I noticed it before he got it back together, so he went back and put the washers on, and re-tourqed them. I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but I've got nearly 60k miles on it since then, about 10k of those with my 195/50's and it is still running great, and I drive it hard.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score

2nd Ficm though.

I fully agree, hence the reason I said "proper stud job" as many will not do it right.I had mine done at Ford at about 70k miles, tech put in my ARP's for me, and forgot to put the washer's on, luckily I noticed it before he got it back together, so he went back and put the washers on, and re-tourqed them. I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but I've got nearly 60k miles on it since then, about 10k of those with my 195/50's and it is still running great, and I drive it hard.
I agree completely. Doing the job properly is 99.9% of the game. Too many people take shortcuts. The heads absolutly need to be checked for cracks and milled completely flat. Use Ford head gaskets, never Victor Reinz (Black Onyx). When you find a good head bulilder it's not a bad idea to havethem put in some hardened seats and bronze guides. If you have the time and means, pull the shortblock and make sure the deck is flat too.

On the injector side of things, meticulous maintanence using a good synthetic oil like Valvoline Blue Extreme 5w-30 goes a long way to giving them longevity. An occasional dose of Rev-X doesn't hurt either. Also only use Ford filters for oil and fuel.

As to the original question, IMO absolutley go for the Harley. It looks to be in great shape and has pretty low mileage.

Strokin Platinum

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice. If I can get a reasonable amount out of my truck I will definitely do it. As for having the studs done I would probably have River City Diesel do the work. Even if the harley doesn't work out I'm defintely going to upgrade to a 6.0 in the near future.

AllanB

Reaction score
Just to add a little info for ya. The 2007 6.0ltr has the fewest warrany claims of any Powerstroke made. With the exception of the new 6.7ltr.

Latest posts

Members online