P!P v8 3-4 Released!

Notneb

Reaction score
Y'all are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If you start your truck and let it run, hiss or no hiss, the engine isn't going to get to operating temp until you drive it. If you live somewhere cold it's going to be plugged in all night anyways, and that back pressure doesn't make an appreciable or even noticeable difference to me, but I let my truck idle for 5-10 min regardless.

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
It's only there to help like I said. Say you swap in a non vgt turbo. No vanes, no hiss, so they just tuned them out somewhat cause some hated the noise is my guess. It won't hurt anything

Notneb

Reaction score
It's only there to help like I said. Say you swap in a non vgt turbo. No vanes, no hiss, so they just tuned them out somewhat cause some hated the noise is my guess. It won't hurt anything

Now if only they can figure a way to turn on the exhaust brake... Been driving the dodge too much, exhaust brake got me spoiled!

danbryant01

Reaction score
So I got the version 8 loaded up yesterday and put it on level 3 just like I had my truck on when I was running version 7. I haven't driven it much other than some 0-80mph at different throttle positions to get the transmission shifting better. The only thing that i'm unsure of is if i'm really babying the throttle from a stop it does this weird almost instant shift from 2 to 3, if i lay into it more it shift's like I would think it should. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Mike07270

Reaction score
Once Trans temp is over 110, the converter locks in 2nd gear. That's probably what you're feeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbryant01

Reaction score
The trans was up around 180. Maybe that's what I'm feeling, it's just happening so fast that my cts2 monitor doesn't pick it up like all the other lock ups through the gears

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

danbryant01

Reaction score
Shifts seem to be getting better and better. Put a few hundred miles on the new tunes and mileage has went up from 13.5 to 15.3 and my lie o meter is always within a tenth at the pump hand calculated

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Notneb

Reaction score
My shocks should be here tomorrow, I plan on spending all weekend in the desert testing out the new lv4.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
I am scared to load them> I have them in my email, I had a failed load and spent a hour on tech line with sct to reload factory ****. YOU GUYS MAKE SURE TO UPDATE FIRST!!

Mike07270

Reaction score
Yes it's very important to make sure tuner is up to date before using new tunes. We used to have to checksum every file after making changes but SCT has fixed their tuner to checksum the file before its put into truck, but it's a recent update. If you don't update, it programs all the way til end and fails. 9 times out of 10 you can return to stock, update tuner and try again. A few people have had to call SCT for a recovery file if it won't return to stock on its own

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I loaded tunes without applying the update. No issues. I know I should update but at the time I was ready for the whole "return to stock" dance with getting the X4 updated.

jwalk09

Reaction score
I loaded tunes without applying the update. No issues. I know I should update but at the time I was ready for the whole "return to stock" dance with getting the X4 updated.

Are you saying most people have to return to stock when they update the sct?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Using the SCT software I recall it says to return to stock, update the device, then load the tunes. When I was loading my new files the SCT software showed an update was needed for the device. I just chose not to load the updates. I just loaded the new tunes.

I think it's a safe bet to just return to stock, update device, load custom tunes, then tune the truck.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Using the SCT software I recall it says to return to stock, update the device, then load the tunes. When I was loading my new files the SCT software showed an update was needed for the device. I just chose not to load the updates. I just loaded the new tunes.

I think it's a safe bet to just return to stock, update device, load custom tunes, then tune the truck.

you dont have to return to stock .

O4ep3civ

Reaction score
When I uploaded the new stuff. It went through the whole process then failed to complete. The x4 automatically turn the truck back to the stock file. I had to update the x4 before it would allow the new files to be installed.

Just update the x4 then proceed as normal.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
When I uploaded the new stuff. It went through the whole process then failed to complete. The x4 automatically turn the truck back to the stock file. I had to update the x4 before it would allow the new files to be installed.

this could be due to the version pip is building the new files on. its always something tricky with this stuff.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score

sheet, you got lucky. mine just said failed to load and wouldn't do anything. return to stock wouldn't take.

jwanck11

Reaction score
It seems this set of tuines is based off new templates, so yes, you will need an updated device.

As for the tunes:

The shifting is awesome. This is by far the best shift strategy I have run. Shift points are spot on, there are no flares, downshifting comes in at the right time with the application of the pedal and the early lock up is nice. I am very, very happy with this aspect of the tune.

On lvl 3, there is a puff of smoke when I give it moderate to heavy pedal from a start or from a roll. It cleans up very quickly, but there is a definite puff nonetheless. The previous tune from geerh I ran did not do this.

The hiss is suppressed for the most part as you know. I am just hoping there is no adverse effect on the turbo or engine w.r.t. longevity.

There one thing I am not comfortable with is there seems to be heavy knock when I launch hard or really get into it at lower speeds. This is not a typewriter sound, but a very loud detonation sound.

Clearly this rewrite was pretty complete. I think this is a fantastic tune, if for the shifting alone.

20156point7

Reaction score
finally got around today to loading the new v8 lvl 4. The trans tuning is much better now and the smoke is much cleaner just a little puff and it cleans up quickly. Overall I'm really Impressed and these are the best tunes they have sent out yet. Also from idle it sounds much better the hiss is gone.

Latest posts

Members online