P-pump?

TNSTROKE

Reaction score
im thinking about doing a p pump setup and was wondering who else besides troika and hypermax has them i know wide open enterprises use to have them but i cant find them. who has the best prices? if i could find a inline 8 barrel pump would any of them work or should i stick with there pump? and what supporting mods are necessary valve spring, push rods, roller rockers,fire rings,studs,rods, cam, girdle,intercooled or air to water? just wondering what any one would recommend thats done a p pump setup and what other mods should i do while in there. it will be a puller

thanks

CSIPSD

Reaction score
im thinking about doing a p pump setup and was wondering who else besides troika and hypermax has them i know wide open enterprises use to have them but i cant find them. who has the best prices? if i could find a inline 8 barrel pump would any of them work or should i stick with there pump? and what supporting mods are necessary valve spring, push rods, roller rockers,fire rings,studs,rods, cam, girdle,intercooled or air to water? just wondering what any one would recommend thats done a p pump setup and what other mods should i do while in there. it will be a puller

thanks

You have any idea what your about to do?

Supporting mods? Were talking about a build ment for about 1000-1200hp...

Everything.

Reaction score
My favorite mod on our P-Pump build is the empty wallet mod.

LOTS of Engine machine work, Billet Rods, Forged Pistons, bedplate, internally balanced rotating assembly, ported heads, custom intake manifolds, jesel solid lifters, valve springs, roller rockers, custom dog bones, cam grind, pushrods, billet valve covers, billet front cover, timing gears, injectors, injector sleeves, injector hold downs, injection pump, pump hub, turbo, injector lines, ATI damper, belt drive fuel and oil pump, blow proof bell housing, 4 disc crower, reverser, drop box, Rockwell rear axle, tires, suspension, etc...

It is a HUGE undertaking. Figure spending $75,000 at least just to get it running down the track. Then figure another $25000 a year to keep it up. Those are figures of you building the entire truck with someone supplying you the parts. Figure another $35000-$50,000 for someone to build you the truck from scratch.

Those numbers are off the top of my head, but I'd say anyone that has ACTUALLY put one together would agree that they are pretty close to accurate. It seems like a good idea when you're thinking you want to do it, but the reality of the cost keeps many from achieving success.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Those will both work... You should get them both and tie them together. Should be rather easy to tie them into the fuel system, but might tie one into the fuel system and one into the oil system.

Then you will have it made.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
OP - what are you trying to do? If its a pulling truck - then one of those pumps might work - the other is a no. If you have a street truck for a goal - its a spendy route to take, but doable (why someone would want to loose the reliability and fine tuning capabilities for street use is beyond me). Unlimited is actually building one of these right now and based on what I know it is a good estimate for someone seriously considering doing this unless that person has the tools and skills to either make a front cover or come up with another way of mounting and running the pump. I've also been around a couple other mechanical 7.3s (my old truck and the Wipe Out Enterprises truck (which is also very local to me)).

376535_1699155934950_1519497900_n.jpg

Oh and Joe - 1000-1200Hp targets are LOW for these things - here in central Ohio that is our 2.6" class. LOL

TNSTROKE

Reaction score
it will be strictly for pulling. i like troika's kit for the fact i can use the stock water pump and pulleys. i want to run in the 2.6 class and i'm not worried about pushing over 1000hp my first season running this setup. i'm interested in it because i'll have plenty of room to grow when i want to go bigger. i was just curious if any one knew which pump i should be looking for i'm sure there are different bolt pattern's that will not match up to certain front cover's. i think they use a 8.3l cummins injector will the spray pattern match the fuel bowl on these pistons? i know this is a expensive project and i don't have deep pockets but i get by as long as my crops dont burn up any more then they are haha i'm just trying to save money where ever i can with this thing which is why i'm trying to find a pump and injectors for cheaper then what hypermax is selling them for and is why i'm not trying to go over the top with power the first year (600-700hp) would be plenty as i want to run a stock bottom end until the winter after if it will hold i hope i'll be as lucky as lone stroke. thank you for the reply HRT.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
it will be strictly for pulling. i like troika's kit for the fact i can use the stock water pump and pulleys. i want to run in the 2.6 class and i'm not worried about pushing over 1000hp my first season running this setup. i'm interested in it because i'll have plenty of room to grow when i want to go bigger. i was just curious if any one knew which pump i should be looking for i'm sure there are different bolt pattern's that will not match up to certain front cover's. i think they use a 8.3l cummins injector will the spray pattern match the fuel bowl on these pistons? i know this is a expensive project and i don't have deep pockets but i get by as long as my crops dont burn up any more then they are haha i'm just trying to save money where ever i can with this thing which is why i'm trying to find a pump and injectors for cheaper then what hypermax is selling them for and is why i'm not trying to go over the top with power the first year (600-700hp) would be plenty as i want to run a stock bottom end until the winter after if it will hold i hope i'll be as lucky as lone stroke. thank you for the reply HRT.

Stock water pump and pulleys can be a good thing in the 2.6 class - but I'm more of a fan of swapping to an electric water pump for something like this - but that can always be done down the road.

You need to talk to some pump shops and talk with them about what you want to do, both short term and long term with the truck and its components - getting a good base to start with is critical to "saving" money on a project - it will cost a whole lot more starting with something unusable than getting something that can be bumped up later even if it takes a little longer to be able to afford the more usable part. Some trucks are using the 8.3 injectors - some are using a Komatsu injector - others could be running something else entirely.

If you are serious about doing this you will need to figure out some features of the setup - no one is running the exact same parts in these things and the closest you will get to a bolt on kit is the Hmax setup - or you could pay someone to make it all work and that is expensive as well.

Good luck - its a large, time consuming, and expensive project with no real shortcuts to it - the only cost savings that can be had is if you do it yourself with the more you can do - the lest money you will have invested.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'd build the motor first before going that far. It will fuel hard down low and I doubt a that I will live long. Especially if if you turn any rpm with it. Not worth ruining a crank,block and heads.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

02BigD

Reaction score
Nice hood setup on that puller. HRT, Do you know if it just pins to the truck as it is pictured? Or is there additional supports that get put in place too?

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Nice hood setup on that puller. HRT, Do you know if it just pins to the truck as it is pictured? Or is there additional supports that get put in place too?

It pins into place. I can get better pics of it this truck lives about 10 miles if that from me and I am friends with guys that run it. Also see the new sticky thread that I just made for pictures and information pertaining to mechanically injected 7.3 PSDs. Might as well put all that info into one location.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.