P0284 and lost coolant after heavy tow

vinniehobart

Reaction score
just hauled two 30ft combine headers hooked to each other with my 04 6.0 and when I got to our destination in Colorado and it was loping pretty good (P0284) and noticed it was half a gallon low on coolant(temps were about 230f). When I started it up the next day I filled coolant back up and there was no lope anymore until I started driving and stopped and shut it off and it started loping again. When I pulled these trailers it was 101 out with a 30mph crosswind and going up at steep grade for about 300 miles. My boost pressure stayed above 20psi for most of the journey and I only have a Egr delete and straight pipe. . I also noticed my filter got pretty clogged since we were on chalky roads and harvesting. Didn't know if you had any suggestions.

swinky

Reaction score
I would think the lope is high pressure oil related. It didn't puke at all? If the egr is gone and you're losing coolant you may have blown the gaskets.

vinniehobart

Reaction score
yes it did puke in fact it got all over my intake tube and degas bottle. I filled it back up and drove 400 miles today in 100 degree weather and didn't go down. I wasn't towing anything either. What would I need to do for HPOP? I didn't loose any mileage today either I got 17.5mpg and have no leaks under truck

swinky

Reaction score
Well you just overheated it then, that being said I would still keep an eye on coolant level and puking. do you have anyway of monitoring icp?

vinniehobart

Reaction score
Ya that's just what I hoping for..towing just wasn't in my favor that day but had to be done...no I don't have a way to monitor ICP

kdogg85

Reaction score
By any chance, do you keep the level above the minimum line? If so, that's more than likely your problem. Did you hear the fan kick on at all?

Gary

Reaction score
First thing I would do is wash the radiator core, A/C condenser and inter-cooler cores with a garden hose, get all the bugs and debris out so it has plenty of air flow through them. This tool makes the job much easier
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/the467a.html
If you have never cleaned them before believe me the fins are full of junk to stop the air flow.:D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.