P2073 code with IDP

Notneb

Reaction score
Yeah no kidding, my damn hard lock up in 3rd and the 3-4 flare is driving me up the walls lol!

Mikeyfitz

Reaction score
So you have tried the v8 street tune already ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's loaded on the truck currently. Big improvement. Never ran a non lvl3 or 4 before but it shifts amazing. He's working on the higher powers, but if they shift like this I'll be more than happy

jwalk09

Reaction score
Yeah it's loaded on the truck currently. Big improvement. Never ran a non lvl3 or 4 before but it shifts amazing. He's working on the higher powers, but if they shift like this I'll be more than happy
Nice. Can't wait

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jwanck11

Reaction score
when you say shifts amazing, I am looking for no flare whatsoever and shifts that are crisp through every gear without being sloppy or harsh. Same with coming down the gears.... Is that the case?

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
when you say shifts amazing, I am looking for no flare whatsoever and shifts that are crisp through every gear without being sloppy or harsh. Same with coming down the gears.... Is that the case?

I just want to clarify here, that a single tune file isn't capable of replicating what you've just described on every truck you load it into. This applies to every brand of tuning device.

If I were to build you a custom file that (and it would take several attempts) was perfectly clean between every gear, upshifts and downshifts- no binding, no flare- and you were to load it in the next truck that would come along, the results would not be duplicated. There is pretty significant variation in clutch stack heights in these transmissions (to the point where Ford sells different size snap rings for adjustments) and no two trucks are exactly the same.

It's pretty fair to say that everyone wants the shifting characteristics you've mentioned here, Ford included. That's why the trucks have adaptive shifting, so that they can learn the specific geometry differences between transmissions. But it will never be perfect.

No matter the brand of tuner, the only way to achieve what you've described in a consistent manner is to physically drop your truck off with a well qualified tuner and let them iron out every shift individually. It can easily consume an entire work day, sometimes more.

Mikeyfitz

Reaction score

That's how it is so far. ^^ as said above it'll never be perfectly custom to each truck... Nearly as perfect as a "canned" tune can be for my truck though

jwanck11

Reaction score
I just want to clarify here, that a single tune file isn't capable of replicating what you've just described on every truck you load it into. This applies to every brand of tuning device.

I'd have been happy to have given you a ride in my email-tuned F150 - which had the shift characteristics I listed.

In fact, there are numerous trucks running the same tune as mind did and all shifted in the same manner - with spot on shifting characteristics.

Perhaps it is the difference of the internals of the trans in my SD versus the trans in my F150 that drives an inability of the tuner to deliver a perfected shifting experience.....

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Just an update on my P2074 code issue. Before I went offshore last hitch I loaded up the I** Street tune and about 2 weeks into my hitch my wife called to tell me that my check engine light was on and long story short it ended up being the P2074 code. Well I had her clear the code and sure enough it came back after a day. Well when I finally made it home I cleared it once more and it came back the same day. I knew I was going to the track, So I ended up returning to stock and then reloading everything yet again but with the Race tune instead. After a couple of days I ended up putting it back to the Hot street tune and as of now I still haven't gotten the code so I guess we will see. I've never gotten the code with the Hot Street or Race files, However with the Street file I got it after 50miles. Once again I will knock on wood and hope I didn't Jinx myself by opening my mouth lol!

Charles

Notneb

Reaction score
I'd have been happy to have given you a ride in my email-tuned F150 - which had the shift characteristics I listed.

In fact, there are numerous trucks running the same tune as mind did and all shifted in the same manner - with spot on shifting characteristics.

Perhaps it is the difference of the internals of the trans in my SD versus the trans in my F150 that drives an inability of the tuner to deliver a perfected shifting experience.....

So you're comparing the shifting characteristics of a gas powered f150 to a diesel platform that has EASILY double if not triple the torque?! I want whatever you're smoking...

Notneb

Reaction score
Just an update on my P2074 code issue. Before I went offshore last hitch I loaded up the I** Street tune and about 2 weeks into my hitch my wife called to tell me that my check engine light was on and long story short it ended up being the P2074 code. Well I had her clear the code and sure enough it came back after a day. Well when I finally made it home I cleared it once more and it came back the same day. I knew I was going to the track, So I ended up returning to stock and then reloading everything yet again but with the Race tune instead. After a couple of days I ended up putting it back to the Hot street tune and as of now I still haven't gotten the code so I guess we will see. I've never gotten the code with the Hot Street or Race files, However with the Street file I got it after 50miles. Once again I will knock on wood and hope I didn't Jinx myself by opening my mouth lol!

Charles

When I still ran I*P tunes it wouldn't gimme the code on Hot Street or Race until I got on it a little. Hopefully it works for you so you don't spend money going with another tuner.

jwanck11

Reaction score
So you're comparing the shifting characteristics of a gas powered f150 to a diesel platform that has EASILY double if not triple the torque?! I want whatever you're smoking...

The engine has nothing to do with the discussion - nor does the Tq output. This is about transmission tuning. A transmission tune simply needs to be figured out - which clearly is not the case at this point.

No need to get defensive, it is what it is - a work in progress.

I don't smoke.

jwanck11

Reaction score

Charles

it will be back. Those tunes have not ever addressed the issue. Punch tunes simply turned the code off (it would set if not). GH tunes also throw the code at this point. Word has it that there is an attempt being made to clear the code the right way (addressing the issue that is causing the code to be thrown - not turning it off) but that has not yet materialized.

Captaincworley

Reaction score
it will be back. Those tunes have not ever addressed the issue. Punch tunes simply turned the code off (it would set if not). GH tunes also throw the code at this point. Word has it that there is an attempt being made to clear the code the right way (addressing the issue that is causing the code to be thrown - not turning it off) but that has not yet materialized.
How many miles before you think it would set off on the Hot Street or Race? I've put around 2000miles on the Hot Street in the past before flashing and didn't get the code, Not saying that I wouldn't tho. It's annoying that much is for sure lol!

Charles

jwanck11

Reaction score
2000 miles? Well, I would absolutely love to eat crow on your behalf! You'd be the first I've heard or seen where the code did not come back (believe me, I hope it is the case for you.)

Have you driven any differently? Conditions any different? Drive/rest interval changes? Anything you can point to?

My latest tune swap lasted nearly a week without throwing a code - approximately 600 miles.