Painted Over chrome

OneStockQuik6.0

Reaction score
Just as the title saids:

Who has painted their chrome bumpers and what have been the results?

I have a good deal on a 2011 bumper that I can't pass and want to have it painted blue..

Frankie

036.0l

Reaction score
Did mine last weekend. Turned out great! Here is a pic
Photo0317.jpg

Last edited:

imelmo

Reaction score
Just as the title saids:

Who has painted their chrome bumpers and what have been the results?

I have a good deal on a 2011 bumper that I can't pass and want to have it painted blue..

Frankie

I've heard the best way is to get it sandblasted first to make the primer or paint stick better. The chrome is to slick to paint w/o some sort of prep. It'll flake and chip off pretty easy if not.

Cody

Reaction score
I did mine, i sanded them down, then sprayed them with adhesion promoter, then painted them, theyve chipped a little, but the adhesion promoter isnt chipping.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Sandblast then a self etching primer and a flex agent in the paint to resist chips is what I've always heard...I'm no painter though.

389sixpack

Reaction score
I sanded the chrome and painted. Look good at first, then chipped and scratched very easily. Also had some of the chrome lift and really messed it up. After that is was a big fail....

Donnief

Reaction score
I sanded the chrome and painted. Look good at first, then chipped and scratched very easily. Also had some of the chrome lift and really messed it up. After that is was a big fail....

Ditto , same thing happened to me. Spend a few bucks and get them blasted or they wont last. I sanded and used a etching primer .... still chipped.

Wojo

Reaction score
have it powder coated first. see if the coater can do it a color that he is coating already that day. it will keep the cost down. then just sand the powdercoat and paint as normal.

OneStockQuik6.0

Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions guys..I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try..I mean think about it since its the back bumper it won't be as bad as if it were the front one right?

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions guys..I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try..I mean think about it since its the back bumper it won't be as bad as if it were the front one right?

correct. painted over chrome will chip much larger than prepped steel so as long as it's on back, I wouldn't worry about it. that's the reason i just painted over my chrome rear and bought a paintable xl for the front.

Racer X

Reaction score

An etching primer can make chrome plating lift due to it's acid content. Sometimes it will lift top coats too.
Paints used with hardener have the same potential unless a primer sealer is used as an under coat. It's hard to sand chrome plating enough for adhesion without sanding marks showing through the top coats. Zinc primers used to work well on sanded chrome, also on galvanized metal and were excellent at protecting etched or clean regular steel from corrosion. The formula has been changed due to EPA standards and they are unavailable in some areas due to EPA regulations. Epoxy primer has the same excellent corrosion protection for regular un-plated etched or rust free steel and is less toxic.

If you like flat gray as a color, sanded chrome can be painted with excellent results with a galvanizing paint. Unfortunately, most can't be top coated with color coats. Otherwise, it would be a great primer.

Powder coats have different UV ratings depending on what type is used. All I have seen fade quickly from sun exposure. My op. is it's weakness is quick fading, same as non acrylic enamels do. I don't know how well powder coat would bound to chrome plating.

My op. is blasting is probably the most cost effective solution if zinc primer isn't available or compatible with the top coat you choose.

UtahFord

Reaction score
I did it on my half ton i just sanded then self etching primer then i did rustoleum bed liner no problems and i just got rid of it a month ago
62caf12e-4176-5af7.jpg

Sent from my evo F-350

BLK01

Reaction score
what about plasti-dip? ive heard a lot of good things about it, and im thinking about doing my bumper, im just scared that it wont stick. but i guess if it doesent stick you can just peel it off

WIESEL

Reaction score
When I painted a set of chrome wheels, I found a place in indy that chemically remove the chrome same price as blasting and they were smooth when they was done. Worked out nice.

Latest posts

Members online