Painting grill shell and bumper help

Gundy09

Reaction score
So I just bought a new grill off eBay from eautogrilles. I am looking to color match (white) the outer shell.. any tips on what type of paint and possible specific color to use and tips on how to get it to stay on the smooth glossy surface??
Also I want to paint the front bumper white ( 08 xl model truck metal bumper).. bumper is black now. Same questions as with the grill.
Thanks for any help

08Monster

Reaction score
Exact same grill I just bought. 1. Scuff it with a red scuff pad
2. Clean with a final wipe to remove wax, grease, etc
3. Tack rag the dust off
4. 3 coats of base coat paint
5. 3 coats of clear
Done. Same thing for the bumper. You can also tack rag between color and clear if you would like

08Monster

Reaction score
5yqebuqu.jpg

Here is how it turned out. I put superduty on it too

Stroked777

Reaction score
my grill was originally chrome, i peeled off all the chrome and then used a for plastics paint and it came out awesome, i shot it with clear after

Before painting
08ford_zps754e3b60.jpg

After painting
photo_zps6bd848ab.jpg

looks alot better than chrome now, only thing i dont like is it has a little bit of a dull finish, but that can always be fixed when i get around to it LOL

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
my grill was originally chrome, i peeled off all the chrome and then used a for plastics paint and it came out awesome, i shot it with clear after

Before painting
08ford_zps754e3b60.jpg

After painting
photo_zps6bd848ab.jpg

looks alot better than chrome now, only thing i dont like is it has a little bit of a dull finish, but that can always be fixed when i get around to it LOL
What did you do to take all the chrome off?

Stroked777

Reaction score
What did you do to take all the chrome off?

It was bubbled up I was originally gunna get rid of the bubble but then realised the surface under it was a good surface to have as a base, it took for ever to peel off, a few hours but it's worth it, used a pocket knife to get under the edge to lift it a bit

Stroked777

Reaction score
Not at all. The chrome is actually a thin metal later over the plastic. All you need is a starting point and then it's like taking sun burn skin off at that point. LOL

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can spray oven cleaner on it to get it to come off. YouTube it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.