Painting Headlights

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Ordered all my retrofit materials, I figured while I had the headlights apart I would paint match the bezel and paint the chrome reflectors black also.
What is the general consensus on painting headlights? What are you guys shooting? Are you just using epoxy primer and base coat and then resealing the light or are you guys shooting clear over the base coat before resealing?

How are you handling painting the chrome bucket reflectors? Wanted to black these out since I am going with projectors. Is high temp paint needed or regular base coat enough for the job? I figure that projectors don't produce nearly the same amount of heat as halogens.

Just want to do this right the first time!

Thanks guys!

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Maybe this will help.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67503

Also, I'm pretty sure oven cleaner will take care of the chrome.

That's an awesome retrofit guide. Thanks for sharing. It is nice to see other's methods.

I am pretty positive he only sprayed base coat in that post as it does not look like there is any clear coat over that ingot silver paint.

Anyone else have any headlight painting tips before I get started?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I would put some clear. The base coat unless it's single stage will fade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I would put some clear. The base coat unless it's single stage will fade.

That is what I was thinking too. Then my internal dialog thought, "Doesn't the factory headlight lens have a UV protection coating?"

I mean it can't really hurt to go ahead and clear coat everything. It will just ensure everything lasts longer...

jwalk09

Reaction score
That is what I was thinking too. Then my internal dialog thought, "Doesn't the factory headlight lens have a UV protection coating?"

I mean it can't really hurt to go ahead and clear coat everything. It will just ensure everything lasts longer...

I've done a few sets and I clean the chrome with oven cleaner and scuff the rest off with a 3m pad, clean with alcohol, spray 1 coat of adhesion promoter, spray couple coats of primer to cover, base coats, clear coats. Usually order paint through automotivetouchup.com. They have oem paint in aerosol cans and their normal clear works well, but the 2k clear with built in hardener is the best clear you can buy in a spray can though.

FX44AU

Reaction score
That's an awesome retrofit guide. Thanks for sharing. It is nice to see other's methods.

I am pretty positive he only sprayed base coat in that post as it does not look like there is any clear coat over that ingot silver paint.

Anyone else have any headlight painting tips before I get started?

I'll second the above post and actually I did spray a base and a clear. Wasn't sure if it was really needed or not but I figured it was easy enough to go ahead and hit them with some clear for good insurance. A little over a year later and they still look great. One thing I would advise is to be sure and give them several days to cure before sealing them back up. I've never had it happen but I've heard people talk about them hazing over the headlight and/or projector lens if they are resealed before the paint cures.

Also..... use Automotive Touch Up for the paint and clear. Their aerosol is some good stuff.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Is there any reason why you couldn't do a HVLP spray and then put them in the oven on 150° for about 20 minutes at a time to get them setup?

FX44AU

Reaction score
I would think you could heat them to speed up the curing process but I'm not 100% sure to be honest. If I had access to a decent sprayer that's the route I would take though for sure.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I'll second the above post and actually I did spray a base and a clear. Wasn't sure if it was really needed or not but I figured it was easy enough to go ahead and hit them with some clear for good insurance. A little over a year later and they still look great. One thing I would advise is to be sure and give them several days to cure before sealing them back up. I've never had it happen but I've heard people talk about them hazing over the headlight and/or projector lens if they are resealed before the paint cures.

Also..... use Automotive Touch Up for the paint and clear. Their aerosol is some good stuff.
I'm glad you found this thread and thank you for the input, it is beyond helpful.
I agree I am going to spray clear coat. It can't hurt. I think I'll spray the bezel with high gloss clear and the reflectors with a satin clear.

I have a Devilbiss HVLP gun I'll use to shoot the paint with. Thinking about going with PPG's DCU2021 clear coat. It is a high solids production clear. I think the force dry time is something like 30 minutes @ 140 degrees Fahrenheit. So I can get the retrofit knocked out in ~2 days, since this is my DD.

FX44AU

Reaction score
I'm glad you found this thread and thank you for the input, it is beyond helpful.
I agree I am going to spray clear coat. It can't hurt. I think I'll spray the bezel with high gloss clear and the reflectors with a satin clear.

I have a Devilbiss HVLP gun I'll use to shoot the paint with. Thinking about going with PPG's DCU2021 clear coat. It is a high solids production clear. I think the force dry time is something like 30 minutes @ 140 degrees Fahrenheit. So I can get the retrofit knocked out in ~2 days, since this is my DD.

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Take your time and get it done...once you get the headlights opened up it isn't that bad!

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it figured out. Take your time and get it done...once you get the headlights opened up it isn't that bad!
Yeah, I've heard cracking them open is the most daunting task. But your guide is very helpful in that aspect, so I think I'll be fine!

I have done a few retrofits on smaller lights, like the BMW E46 headlights but this will be my first large housing retrofit.

I'll be sure to post updates as I move forward!

1st last59

Reaction score
I just pulled apart my second set to try a retrofit. I pulled my original ones apart right after I bought the truck in 2012 and just painted the chrome parts black. Now I'm not satisfied with the light output factory so I'm gonna try the retrofit. I also want to put led cubes in the top part and use switchback strips between for blinkers.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
So I have some notes and tips for anyone else who decides to go down this path!

First step, buy this industrial purple cleaner & degreaser by ZEP. Same active ingredients as purple power but way cheaper. Think I picked up this gallon jug for $8.99.
QWzcBO4l.jpg

Find or buy a tote that will comfortably fit your headlight bezels. Then fill the tote with the degreaser shown above and mix with water. Fill it with enough water to cover the plastic bezels, but not enough water to fully dilute the mixture. I mixed mine 5:1, with 5 gallons of water or so. Still plenty strong!
NljuWGWl.jpg

After soaking the bezels for about 5 minutes in the mixture you've made, pull the bezels out to ensure all the chrome has been removed. This process didn't take me too long. In my case I had to rotate the bezel in the container after 5 minutes as I wasn't able to submerge the entire bezel at once. Here is what they should look like when the chrome has been fully stripped.
V6tUEZEl.jpg

I then scuffed the plastic with red Scotch-Brite pads. Setup a nice table to spread out all the headlight parts for paint. Warmed up the garage to 75-78 degrees and sprayed some SEM plastic adhesion promoter. After spraying the adhesion promoter I was ready to spray my 2k epoxy primer. I just mixed up some OMNI brand primer I had laying around and shot it. You can also find paint cans with activator in the bottom at most auto paint supply stores if you don't have a gun to spray paint with. Although the final product always turns out better if you do spray with a gun!
Zf88TYul.jpg

Next came base coat. I used Deltron DC2000 basecoat. This basecoat sprays like glass and only needs 2 coats. I did the two colors in two stages and masked things off with some 3/8" medium hold masking tape and some plastic. I forgot to take pictures of the masking step. I was going for the iron man look here.
knoh9aul.jpg

Finally came clear coat. I went with DCU-3000 clearcoat, a production clear, which cures even quicker than the 2021 clear coat I mentioned in a previous post. I sprayed the first coat, wet, waited about 4 minutes and then immediately sprayed a second coat, also wet. No runs or orange peel. I love this stuff. After 10 minutes @ 75 degrees the clear coat was dust free, after 25 minutes @ 75 degrees the clear was tack free. I then set my oven for 125 degrees and baked the parts for about 8 minutes. This fully cured the clear coat. The headlights were ready to assemble.
5DEXEDfl.jpg

Next came reassembly. Please excuse the dirty truck. It is winter after all.
DMJXfFvl.jpg

1W57yIVl.jpg

Lcu447ll.jpg

Next I'll post up some night shots and light output.
These D2S 4.0 projectors put out some serious light...

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
What kind of gun do you use?

Recently I've been shooting with a Devilbiss TEKNA ProLite 703566. At a certain point it comes down to personal preference. I have an Iwata and a few other Devilbiss guns but the TEKNA ProLite has been my favorite and most predictable gun so far!

Latest posts

Members online