$partan Ngauge vs P!P v8!!!

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Yea....that's still not covering what you said, Mike.
Your posts lead me to believe you're saying this comparison by the OP is only valid for the 15-16 year models he's comparing. That this doesn't apply to the 11-14 tricks in any way as they CANNOT be compared. THAT is what I'd like you to clarify.
You're saying the truck at work with recent revisions from the SCT tuner this thread is about can't be compared because they're 14's instead of 15's?
I don't buy that at all but I'd like to hear your explanation.
Should this thread be retitled to state it only applies to 15-16 year models?

Last edited:

Mechcont

Reaction score
well from the sounds of things it looks like I'm going to be out another $1400...awesome...the wife is going to be mad lol.

Notneb

Reaction score
well from the sounds of things it looks like I'm going to be out another $1400...awesome...the wife is going to be mad lol.

Matt from P!P *confusing since Matt Geouge is $partan...* contacted me with a new tune they've been working on to address injector rattle and shift characteristics. He emailed me the tune this morning, so this weekend I should have a valid comparison between the new P!P beta and $partan's 600QR.

I'm really looking forward to testing these two this weekend, as I think a lot of the focus is on the big tunes from both these companies. Don't worry I'll still be doing a review of each power level, and hopefully getting 0-60mph and 50-70mph times recorded for each one.

So far I have requests for vids of: Smoke output, sound at idle and regular driving drone, 0-60 times, 50-70 *passing* times, and engine *injector* noise. Seeing as I can't find my external mic, the sounds won't be superb, fair warning ;)

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Yea....that's still not covering what you said, Mike.
Your posts lead me to believe you're saying this comparison by the OP is only valid for the 15-16 year models he's comparing. That this doesn't apply to the 11-14 tricks in any way as they CANNOT be compared. THAT is what I'd like you to clarify.
You're saying the truck at work with recent revisions from the SCT tuner this thread is about can't be compared because they're 14's instead of 15's?
I don't buy that at all but I'd like to hear your explanation.
Should this thread be retitled to state it only applies to 15-16 year models?

isnt this about 2015+ tuning because that's what he owns ? and no you cannot compare 11-14 to 15+ . not with ******* or any other brand.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

nah .. much less than $1400 if you call me :) buy her dinner and flowers with the difference.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
isnt this about 2015+ tuning because that's what he owns ? and no you cannot compare 11-14 to 15+ . not with ******* or any other brand.

See now...nobody has ever once in the history of this site said you can't compare the different year models from a simple drivability standpoint. Not that I've ever seen at least. Why is that the case now? Should you add in a disclaimer somewhere that this thread applies to 2015-16 trucks only?

Last edited:

Notneb

Reaction score
I know in the past you've talked about getting a Pintop or Dominator. Traction bars probably won't work well with those when going fast off-road. You prolly know that though just thought I'd mention it.

This project is on hold since I've shifted "funding" to my upcoming military 5-ton conversion. But yes, the reason I still haven't gotten traction bars, was that exact reason, I was planning on making a desert bomber out of it.

But since it's looking more that the 5-ton build is going to suck up a lot of funds, I'm going to put traction bars on her probably next month.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
See now...nobody has ever once in the history of this site said you can't compare the different year models from a simple drivability standpoint. Not that I've ever seen at least. Why is that the case now? Should you add in a disclaimer somewhere that this thread applies to 2015-16 trucks only?

the thread is about a 2015 . pip v8 only applies to 2015+ tuning. pretty simple for most. maybe when someone wants to compare earlier model's they will start a thread. until then , he will continue to compare 2015+ tuning in this thread in which it was originally intended , which so far is a good thread aside from this derail . again this could have easily been discussed elsewhere vs. mucking up this thread. i'm OUT !

uga33

Reaction score
I guess one of my questions would be from the standpoint of someone who's just looking for a reliable tune for a daily driven 6.7 with some miles on it that occasionally does some moderate towing... do any of the aforementioned SCT based (P!P, I D P or G3arhead) or $partan tunes work a transmission too hard or give you cause for concern? So long as my transmission is happy and the engine is running smoothly, I'm happy. From what I can tell it seems P!P can be had for the cheapest price wise with that new PIPmaxx handheld tuner but the SCT X4's are also comparably prices in that range too

My truck currently has 60k miles on it. 50k of those miles have been $partan tuned towing some large trailers that range from 10-22k lbs. Dropped the pan for the first time tonight and was extremely happy with what I saw. Clean!

image_zpsdwhtqenz.jpg

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
My truck currently has 60k miles on it. 50k of those miles have been $partan tuned towing some large trailers that range from 10-22k lbs. Dropped the pan for the first time tonight and was extremely happy with what I saw. Clean!

Are you towing that heavy of a load on the highest tune setting or switching tunes for heavier towing?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
My suggestion, at this point in the thread at least, is to let the OP do what he intended to do. He has a 2015 6.7L and he's comparing two different company's tunes on two different devices. Simple as that.

jwanck11

Reaction score
I find your assessment a bit odd. I ran PiP v8 today on Kelly and Lincoln drive in Philadelphia. They are roads that will test a shift strategy completely. My transmission did not have to "think" in the least. It handled the test perfectly. I was never left thinking that there was anything amiss.

I guess I am a bit concerned about the feedback going to PiP regarding the shift strategy. I equally have not seen any other people have issues and/or complain.

Between this and the fact that you did not seem to acknowledge the injector rattle makes me wonder if this "comparison" is indicative of what anyone else might experience.

Notneb

Reaction score
I find your assessment a bit odd. I ran PiP v8 today on Kelly and Lincoln drive in Philadelphia. They are roads that will test a shift strategy completely. My transmission did not have to "think" in the least. It handled the test perfectly. I was never left thinking that there was anything amiss.

I guess I am a bit concerned about the feedback going to PiP regarding the shift strategy. I equally have not seen any other people have issues and/or complain.

Between this and the fact that you did not seem to acknowledge the injector rattle makes me wonder if this "comparison" is indicative of what anyone else might experience.

So if you re-read post #21 you'd see I said I was driving in traffic, in the city. I guess I need to clarify this means stop and go traffic, at partial throttle.

In case anyone else is unclear: The comparison I made in post #23 was a quick drive, in the city, stop and go traffic with speed limits of 40mph. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was beating on the truck, doing WOT shifts and what not.

To address your "injector rattle" I have yet to experience this with P!P v8, possibly because the only reports of this happening, is during WOT launches, which I won't do without traction bars.

As far as feedback to P!P, I've already said the owner contacted me with a new tune that addresses the injector rattle and shift stratagey, that I will be testing as well. I feel that I've had very good communication with both David and Mike at P!P, and until $partan contacted me about the comparison, I had nothing to compare the P!P tunes with. And as I already mentioned, I don't do much WOT anything, much less launches, so I never experienced the injector rattle.

Feel free to contact both P!P and $partan and ask them if they feel I am in any way being unfair or biased towards either one, or if they think I'm providing false input. At anytime if either of them feel I'm being unfair, they can post their concerns on this thread for all to see.

This comparison is my impressions with the trucks on both tunes, and the facts that I will video tape hopefully this weekend. I am in no way partial to either one, I would just like there to be a thread comparing the two, to help guys in the future.

Notneb

Reaction score
Update: Testing the 450hp tunes tonight, will record 0-60 times, as well as the trans re-learn so everyone can see how it shifts under different throttle inputs.

My plan is to do all the $partan tunes first, then go to stock and load the P!P v8 tunes to record the smoke, shifting, etc. then load the file P!P sent me with the revised tune.

Notneb

Reaction score
A quick 0-60 run, started out at about 80% throttle, still managed it in 8 seconds. This is the 450 Enhanced tune btw.

https://youtu.be/3GHE62NwhFA

Still editing the rest of the video for the review of the 450 Enhanced!

Last edited:

jwanck11

Reaction score
So if you re-read post #21 you'd see I said I was driving in traffic, in the city. I guess I need to clarify this means stop and go traffic, at partial throttle.

In case anyone else is unclear: The comparison I made in post #23 was a quick drive, in the city, stop and go traffic with speed limits of 40mph. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was beating on the truck, doing WOT shifts and what not.

To address your "injector rattle" I have yet to experience this with P!P v8, possibly because the only reports of this happening, is during WOT launches, which I won't do without traction bars.

As far as feedback to P!P, I've already said the owner contacted me with a new tune that addresses the injector rattle and shift stratagey, that I will be testing as well. I feel that I've had very good communication with both David and Mike at P!P, and until $partan contacted me about the comparison, I had nothing to compare the P!P tunes with. And as I already mentioned, I don't do much WOT anything, much less launches, so I never experienced the injector rattle.

Feel free to contact both P!P and $partan and ask them if they feel I am in any way being unfair or biased towards either one, or if they think I'm providing false input. At anytime if either of them feel I'm being unfair, they can post their concerns on this thread for all to see.

This comparison is my impressions with the trucks on both tunes, and the facts that I will video tape hopefully this weekend. I am in no way partial to either one, I would just like there to be a thread comparing the two, to help guys in the future.

If YOU reread, actually consider what others are saying instead of focusing on what you are have to communicate, you will find:

1. The injector rattle (again) is NOT a WOT issue. I have never been WOT, ever. All of us experience it. It is common under moderate acceleration. Unless your drive style is about coasting, as you were additionally a tester, you experienced it too - but failed to say anything.

2. My shift strategy testing was done on a set of roads that tested the strategy completely. Look them up on maps. There is absolutely no "thinking" that the shifting does and, again, I have never seen anyone complain about the shift strategy in the latest revising.

All that said, I would like to see a solid comparison between the tunes..... and it seems discerning people interested in running the best tunes will have to continue to wait for that. Equally, I would like to see GH fix the shift strategy and also get into the mix.

Notneb

Reaction score
If YOU reread, actually consider what others are saying instead of focusing on what you are have to communicate, you will find:

1. The injector rattle (again) is NOT a WOT issue. I have never been WOT, ever. All of us experience it. It is common under moderate acceleration. Unless your drive style is about coasting, as you were additionally a tester, you experienced it too - but failed to say anything.

2. My shift strategy testing was done on a set of roads that tested the strategy completely. Look them up on maps. There is absolutely no "thinking" that the shifting does and, again, I have never seen anyone complain about the shift strategy in the latest revising.

All that said, I would like to see a solid comparison between the tunes..... and it seems discerning people interested in running the best tunes will have to continue to wait for that. Equally, I would like to see GH fix the shift strategy and also get into the mix.

I don't know how to tell you any more plainly: I HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED INJECTOR RATTLE WITH P!P TUNES.

I guess that means in your mind that I'm somehow against P!P, and as for your "shift testing" you're still not getting this: THIS IS MY COMPARISON, not yours. I live here, not there. I am posting MY experiences under MY conditions, not yours.

If you would like to do your own comparison, by all means, please do so. But don't keep getting on here and telling me what I SHOULD be seeing. I'm just recording how MY truck is reacting to the tunes given to me by the owners of both companies.

Members online

No members online now.