Pistons or not?

TX_S

Reaction score
So my truck is about to hit 150k the mods I have so far are in my signature. What I'm thinking I should do is replace the pistons, wrist pins, all bearings and do arp main studs. It's getting a full billet trans next week PMF trac bars will be here tomorrow and i am waiting on a BD trans cooler. I was originally gonna do a 72mm and 30-60% nozzles after the trans and all but with the miles climbing I'm thinking my money is better spent on new internals?

For those that have built ur bottom ends:
what pistons did u go with?
Ceramic coated?
Bore the block for more displacement or just hone if its all that's needed?
Anything I should stay away from?
Anything I'm forgetting?

TX_S

Reaction score
What about a cam? I don't really think I need it but just throwing the question out there

78f100

Reaction score
You will want to check your bores before you order pistons. I would bet money you are gonna have to bore it to tru up the bores with 150 k on the clock. You won't know how much till you tear it down.

flippincgfighter

Reaction score
I had 200k on the clock and was able to use STD bore international pistons. I didnt get them coated. I also kept the stock cam that was in great shape and did all new bearings. Runs great.

farmin powerstroke

Reaction score
I think I cracked a piston last week. Haven't taken it apart yet. I'll be doing straight wall, fly cut, and coated pistons, cam, and rods from Midwest diesel if that's the problem. They are great to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TX_S

Reaction score
photo1copy_zps9ee9817d.jpg

This is what they looked like somewhere around 10-15k ago still had nice cross hatching and no wear spots I hope they will look the same when I get into it again and I won't have to bore it

TX_S

Reaction score
I think I cracked a piston last week. Haven't taken it apart yet. I'll be doing straight wall, fly cut, and coated pistons, cam, and rods from Midwest diesel if that's the problem. They are great to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

How do you know if you crack a piston? Excessive blow by?

TX_S

Reaction score
Can someone that's pretty good with these tell me if I'm right in thinking my cylinders look pretty good? I'm good with bolt ins and minor internal things but I like to be super careful when lookin at internals. I'm judging off that pic I posted previously

webb06

Reaction score
Can someone that's pretty good with these tell me if I'm right in thinking my cylinders look pretty good? I'm good with bolt ins and minor internal things but I like to be super careful when lookin at internals. I'm judging off that pic I posted previously

From the one cylinder wall we can see in the pic it looks ok. You need to check all the others too though. Have you pulled the heads yet?

TX_S

Reaction score
Yeah I will check them all but really don't have the time to pull it down check it all then order pitons. Obviously there could be anything in the other cylinders but I remember them all looking like that. So my hope is that if I go ahead and order the pistons and rings in the stock bore that the build will all go much smoother and quicker as it's my only vehicle right now.

Latest posts

Members online