Plastic in the engine?

bretferd

Reaction score
One of my dads work trucks had blown head gaskets and it just started having coolant blow out of the degas yesterday. So he called a shop and they said they would do the head gaskets, arps, egr delete, and all the updated parts for $3800. I told him make sure it has water in it and drive it to the shop. Well I guess it got to hot and shut off and wouldn't start back up. So he had it towed to the shop. Today they called and said that the engine is toast because there is plastic pieces through the hole engine. What plastic pieces could have gone through the hole motor?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Is it on the oil side, or the coolant side?
Water pump impeller is the first thing that comes to mind...

bretferd

Reaction score
He didn't say which side but ya that would make sense. Do you think it would need a new engine because of that though? I'm thinking about pulling it taking it all apart cleaning it very good and just doing all the head gaskets and other things myself.

Mdub707

Reaction score
If it got too hot to the point it shut off, I bet the oil cooler is clogged which caused the headgaskets to blow and oil temp probably soared up over 300* and melted the stand pipe inside of the oil filter housing. Which would mean a new short block would be needed. Worst case scenario, but that'd be my guess.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I would venture to say that your gonna run into more issues along the way....and may be worth it to just drop a new motor in it with the updates and call it good. Warped heads and such come to mind as well if it started melting plastic pieces. If those are out of spec where they can't be machined, your looking at new heads and such along with other things that could've been damaged along the way. Just my .02

If it got too hot to the point it shut off, I bet the oil cooler is clogged which caused the headgaskets to blow and oil temp probably soared up over 300* and melted the stand pipe inside of the oil filter housing. Which would mean a new short block would be needed. Worst case scenario, but that'd be my guess.

That also ^

bretferd

Reaction score
Thanks guy for the quick responses. I'll have to check the standpipe. Y'all are probably right about putting in another motor. So does anybody have a good used engine?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
If the plastic melted, my gut tells me you are better off swapping in a new engine. Or a used engine and doing the updates prior to swapping it.
If the impeller grenaded and sent chunks through the engine you may be able to get by rebuilding it.
The fact that it got hot enough to shut down and not restart tells me either way you are probably looking at a short block. When oil gets that hot and thin there isn't much lubrication going on.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
PM airfish on here if you are looking for a good used engine. He seems to have engines fairly regularly.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Idk about used motors but I can get you a long block with all the dressings and more for a decent price. Let me know if ya want a quote.

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks guy for the quick responses. I'll have to check the standpipe. Y'all are probably right about putting in another motor. So does anybody have a good used engine?

i have one...pm me

webb06

Reaction score

Seen this happen. End result was new (used) engine for the customer

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
I would look at it myself if I were you. Unless it has high miles and had a lot of blowby, a new engine would not be my first thought. I would like to see the evidence of this said plastic then go from there.

Dave

Reaction score
I can't believe they were gonna stud it and new oil cooler for 3800$ that's cheap

Thats about average. I had mine studded, new oil cooler and bpd water pump put in for 3500 2 years ago

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
The more I think about this... I highly doubt it's the water pump. A ton of guys have found plastic pieces of the water pump in their systems before, without ever overheating. They spin on the shaft sometimes, they crack and fall apart sometimes.... they still don't go to 300* oil temp.

bretferd

Reaction score
Yup stand pipe melted.

5B8EB18F-F4CE-468C-BE26-0B1876650CE8.jpg

B28FC3B8-B20E-449D-91FE-6BD0C780771F.jpg

Going to look at a used motor this evening.

78f100

Reaction score
Thats about average. I had mine studded, new oil cooler and bpd water pump put in for 3500 2 years ago

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

i get 6ohs studded for 2500 labour & fluids+550 studs+250 oil cooler and gaskets.

Maybe I'm just expensive then, I am a little cheaper than everyone else around here. Labor does work out to about 2500 for me also but ford gaskets, ford oil cooler, arp's, and egr delete work out a good bit more than that. That's the only way we do it though.

bretferd

Reaction score
Well I picked up a used long block with 91k miles for $1000. So pretty good deal. I'm going to get the heads decked, arps, egr delete, and all the updates.

What do y'all think about changing out the lifters? Is it hard to do? Does the cam have to come out to get the branch tubes out?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.