Plowing with a lifted truck

El chupacabra

Reaction score
OK so here's the question I have an 04 250 with 8" lift and 35's I'm thinking about a blizzard power plow. Does a lift put more stress on the truck when plowing? Do you think I will have problems?

GTOKILLER

Reaction score
No more stress really, just if your plowing strait it will work fine if you angle right of left the outside leading edge of the blade will be 4-5 inches lower then the inside edge unless you have a big enough drop mount. I had to make my own for a western

907DAVE

Reaction score
If you lower the mount, then yes.

I had a buddy who had a 8" on his SD and had one of those enormous Blizzards with the power wings. He made a drop bracket - and was an animal with the it and had no issues.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
I figured on needing a drop bracket. Just wondered if having the drop bracket would put more stress on the end of the truck frame cause the longer drop mount would have more leverage. One good thing i don't think i will need plow lights my headlights will probably be high enough.

Atsah

Reaction score
If it were me. I would build a really rugged drop mount with some rugged bolts.. My Fisher is adjustable about six inchs from the factory.. If I put it at it's lowest setting it would probably be just right for a truck with a 4inch lift so I don't think a few more inchs would do the truck any harm if you used some heavy stock and some serious bolts..

907DAVE

Reaction score
The Blizzard mount makes it easy to make a drop bracket. Some 1/2" or 3/4" plate and a bunch of bolts and your done.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
Sounds good. Everyone keeps saying I shouldn't put a blade on it they think that commercial plowing is the worst thing you can do to a truck. Oh your gonna crack your frame and blow up your tranny. Wtf trucks were made to work not haul groceries.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
If you use you head you can make a lot of money. Don't beat on your truck for no reason. I made enough in the first winter to just about pay for my 04. That truck plowed commercial 12-15 hours on a 2" storm and 24 hours+ on real big storms. Still going strong plowing 7 years later with no issues. I had a leveling kit with 37's. On my fisher X blade, It was very easy to modify. Don't make a drop mount for the truck. Always modify the plow ears whenever possible. It took me about an hour to do mine.

chappy

Reaction score
I use to plow with my 99 f150 excab. It had 11inches of lift and 38's. My only complaint was the angle was going down to much from the truck and it wanted to push the bade down into the ground because of it. The blade would trip and fold down a lot and it was almost impossible to plow anything dirt because t just wanted to dig down. If I was gonna do it ,I would try to drop the mount as much as you can on the truck .

ToMang07

Reaction score
Looking for pics of their "Drop" setup for those who HAVE done this.....yes, I know it's an older thread. But I'm thinking about going up 2-3" more, and My plow is already too high up as it is.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
On a fisher it is much easier to change the plow itself. Cut off the 3 hole ears, slide them up to where you need them. Brace and weld them back on. I have done a bunch of them like that. Stock mounts are only good to a leveling kit.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
You need the A frame on the plow level with the ground or it will not scrape well and wont trip properly. When a plow doesn't trip properly it WILL tear **** up.

Latest posts

Members online