PMF Traction Bars - Fixed vs Floating

KTM300

Reaction score
I am getting ready to order some PMF traction bars. I need some help deciding between the floating and fixed front mount. I like the idea of the floating mount as it means the bars can't cause any bind in the rear suspension, but it seems like most people go with the fixed mount. Are most people just choosing based on looks? I personally like the ladder bar look better than the single bar. Any comments or suggestions on which to go with?

sootie

Reaction score
I see you have PMF suspension. I assume you have their traction bars...which bars do you have and why did you choose the ones you did?

i had floating bars first:

they were noisier,
the hit the spring hangers when i towed real heavy,
they worked fine when i had an exhaust and a tune.

i got pmf bars because:

Trevors a good dude with a good rep,
they aren't the cheapest out there but they dont break the bank either,
quality is top notch,
reasonably quiet operation and much improved shifting characteristics.
they keep the rear end more stable at the power level i am now.

to the OP...what you will find is there are more politics behind traction bar purchases than actual form and function. Go with what fits the budget...as with most things, you get what you pay for. i am perfectly satisfied with my PMF bars and they fit my budget.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I've got the single bar setup and they work really well, and seem to be quieter than the floating bars I had on my old truck. Other than that, they both seem to do their job. I think he changed the joints or bushings some also to deal with a little of the noise, so even the floating bars may be quieter now.

When I ordered the setup for my truck I just told Trevor what I was going to do and got his opinion and went with that. I mean who's gonna know better than the guy that makes them and designs them?

Edit: Oh, and PMF RULES!!

Last edited:

KTM300

Reaction score
NY_Mott, thanks I had not seen that thread. I will have to give it a read.

sootie, I am talking about the two different bars that PMF offers. I am definitely going with PMF, just not sure which ones since he offers two styles. Were your floating bars PMF's or from someone else?

TripleE44, thanks.

taterthedog

Reaction score
Call up Trevor (PMF) and ask him what he recommends for the type of use the truck sees. He will answer any question you have. Great dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I have the Floating Traction Blocks and have never had any noise. My truck lives on the steet most of the time but the few times I have had to crawl over stuff like concrete blocks or telephone poles there was no binding. If you keep the joints on the floating bars lubed and adjusted there is no reason for the bars not to be silent.

sootie

Reaction score
NY_Mott, thanks I had not seen that thread. I will have to give it a read.

sootie, I am talking about the two different bars that PMF offers. I am definitely going with PMF, just not sure which ones since he offers two styles. Were your floating bars PMF's or from someone else?

TripleE44, thanks.

my floating ones were fabtech.

call trevor, he will fix you up or pm him on here "NotStock" is his screen name.

Bongiardina

Reaction score
I have fixed bars because of Trevor's recommendations. I have a 14" lift in the truck, for the floating bars to work properly they need to be parallel with the frame so they are good for a stock height or slightly lifted truck he told me with the size of my lift I was better off with the fixed bars. My truck has all PMF parts in it they are Top Notch!!

I went with the weld on bars fixed and I love them!!

Bongiardina

Reaction score
enamaby5.jpg
u2a5a2ah.jpg

BBottoms

Reaction score
I've got the floating bars on mine. Never had any noise and they keep the rear end planted. I don't do any extreme off roading with the truck but it's been offroad, with and without a ~10k bumper pull, and I've never had binding issues. I wouldn't be surprised if suspension travel was limited at the extremes and I've never tried to check, but the floating bars work excellent for what I do with the truck.

For most people it probably comes down to looks between the floating and fixed. When I had my factory step bars on the floating bars hanging down some didn't bother me. Since I've put my amp steps on they are much more noticeable and sometimes I wonder if the fixed bars wouldn't look better. However, I have no plans to get rid of them.

Attachments

• 20140508225716609.jpg
    20140508225716609.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 20140508225753729.jpg
    20140508225753729.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 121

NotStock

Reaction score
Either system would work well for a stock to small lift height truck, Capt. I personally like the look of the single bar kits.

Latest posts

Members online