PMR block done. Suggestions on rods.

sootie

Reaction score
That'd be my issue on most of them. The guy that owned it. Id only want it if I called up Swamps and they were like "oh yea, we remember that build".

i dont think the motor that H&S has for sale would be one to worry about given the people involved...

TyCorr

Reaction score
That particular motor, hell no. Wop and hypermax are about the only two that give me that feeling.

old man dave

Reaction score
At 14.5 cr, I wonder if it was built for compounds? Zane used standard compression for the KASB @60psi.

Other than that, Zane ran a first class outfit. At $10k, that's what Zane was charging just for a short block without block fill back when.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
If I hadnt put new suspension and a BUNCH of other shti on my 00 Id love to have a built motor of zanes but its not in the cards.

cbf9703

Reaction score
My vote goes to Carrillo rods right now based on experience seeing them used in a variety of 7.3s and the price point.

I have one of their miniature versions right now...

2b62e10e589567e01357ac09185c209f.jpg
5a29481181d012539daace1672b0a51e.jpg

LOL
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cbf9703

Reaction score
That'd be my issue on most of them. The guy that owned it. Id only want it if I called up Swamps and they were like "oh yea, we remember that build".
You'd be surprised how many of those there are (even a decade later)... and for those they don't off the top of their head, there's a build folder.

If someone throws a reputable builder out there, always worth a call to the shop. ;)

jtgf250

Reaction score
I talked to Zane about his motor. He feels the motor would be better off as a compition motor then in a daily driver due to compression and having forged Pistons. I'm still on the hunt though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I talked to Zane about his motor. He feels the motor would be better off as a compition motor then in a daily driver due to compression and having forged Pistons. I'm still on the hunt though.

Well, yes, because it is. :D

It wouldnt be pleasant until it was warm. Smoky, harder (harder not necesarily impossible) to start in cold. A souped up street driven truck aside from cleaning up the dish in the pistons to alleviate sone cracking doesnt need or benefit from cr changes.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Well, yes, because it is. :D

It wouldnt be pleasant until it was warm. Smoky, harder (harder not necesarily impossible) to start in cold. A souped up street driven truck aside from cleaning up the dish in the pistons to alleviate sone cracking doesnt need or benefit from cr changes.

Having been in the DD world at that compression level years ago (before a window mod)... your neighbors won't appreciate it in the mornings, you would want to build in plenty of time for warm up, and we had a can of JD ether that was used on more than one occasion in the winter.

Got that out of the system for the replacement build, not worth it for a mixed use truck that was a DD and saw a fair amount not towing. Just my .02...

TyCorr

Reaction score
We did a billet rod build for an obs locally and h8s compression was bumped down two whole points, which i believe was half if this build and it still hazed oddly at idle in warmer weather until up to temp. We told him in cold weather it will need to be gp'd and maybeceven plugged in. He has started it with just the plugs in 10 deg weather and its god awful until the oil is warmed up to 50 degrees. He hates it but is too proud of the $$ spent to admit he should have stuck to regular compression.

And he passed over a full hmax built motor for 8 grand (cgi block even :doh: ) to spend 16 building this one. A local guy that owns a concrete company had an e99 that had 700 hp that was built by hypermax back in 04. It makes you wonder what is out there that never sees a forum. Or even is known about.

The boys have a paraplegic guy that has a weird green 06 compounded 5.9 ccsb and a billet rod compounded 6l. The cummins made 800 a few times on the dyno but nobody will let him run it on the strip with the hand controls. The 6l did right under 1100 :eek:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Having been in the DD world at that compression level years ago (before a window mod)... your neighbors won't appreciate it in the mornings, you would want to build in plenty of time for warm up, and we had a can of JD ether that was used on more than one occasion in the winter.

Got that out of the system for the replacement build, not worth it for a mixed use truck that was a DD and saw a fair amount not towing. Just my .02...

And I agree on the towing part. I pulled in a tune that makes like 365hp in my 00 bringing my new encl trailer to the barn to store and work on my seats. The trailer was full of stuff on the way there. Trailer alone was 14k....it pulled so nice and so cool that im thinking about building around towing and letting the fun level land where it may. Its fun tow awesomely and have gobs of power empty. Having gobs of power empty but having to let out, force a downshift, and watch egts while towing isnt fun. In fact, its annoying.

Got a guy in this week with my old trans in his truck 300/200s and a billet 38r that im going to dial back to 180/80s, keep the 38r for now, and a built trans from irates guy in ohio. Ill be sure to let you know how it works. Its not in line with Chucks solid theory on 200% nozzles but easier to find tuning for lol

cbf9703

Reaction score
And I agree on the towing part. I pulled in a tune that makes like 365hp in my 00 bringing my new encl trailer to the barn to store and work on my seats. The trailer was full of stuff on the way there. Trailer alone was 14k....it pulled so nice and so cool that im thinking about building around towing and letting the fun level land where it may. Its fun tow awesomely and have gobs of power empty. Having gobs of power empty but having to let out, force a downshift, and watch egts while towing isnt fun. In fact, its annoying.

Got a guy in this week with my old trans in his truck 300/200s and a billet 38r that im going to dial back to 180/80s, keep the 38r for now, and a built trans from irates guy in ohio. Ill be sure to let you know how it works. Its not in line with Chucks solid theory on 200% nozzles but easier to find tuning for lol
Sometimes that's what's important. I can't tell you how much time there was in tuning that setup we had. It was fun and definitely had the cool factor, but I grew up.... just not practical for DD and towing all the time. LOL

I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Agreed. 100%. And kids wanting to go somewhere are probably more impressed with a lowly stock 6l than a m9dded all to hell 7.3 that might overheat or could have to be driven a certain way lol.

I may neuter mine if his setup works well. Biggest 7.3 problem around here is the road salt is really starting to cause sensors and harness issues. Im kinda toying with the idea of gathering the parts to put a 8cyl 7100 pump on mine so its not an issue. And then it could be tuned easier to a respectable power. Because after putting a new body and interior on this old truck, Im stuck with it. Ive got 15 grand into body, suspension, and interior. And it still needs paint. And a few other things.

ja_cain

Reaction score
My vote goes to Carrillo rods right now based on experience seeing them used in a variety of 7.3s and the price point.

I have one of their miniature versions right now...

2b62e10e589567e01357ac09185c209f.jpg
5a29481181d012539daace1672b0a51e.jpg

LOL
That thing is sweet! How can I get one?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
We did a billet rod build for an obs locally and h8s compression was bumped down two whole points, which i believe was half if this build and it still hazed oddly at idle in warmer weather until up to temp. We told him in cold weather it will need to be gp'd and maybeceven plugged in. He has started it with just the plugs in 10 deg weather and its god awful until the oil is warmed up to 50 degrees. He hates it but is too proud of the $$ spent to admit he should have stuck to regular compression.

And he passed over a full hmax built motor for 8 grand (cgi block even :doh: ) to spend 16 building this one. A local guy that owns a concrete company had an e99 that had 700 hp that was built by hypermax back in 04. It makes you wonder what is out there that never sees a forum. Or even is known about.

The boys have a paraplegic guy that has a weird green 06 compounded 5.9 ccsb and a billet rod compounded 6l. The cummins made 800 a few times on the dyno but nobody will let him run it on the strip with the hand controls. The 6l did right under 1100 :eek:
If I was rich I would build a killer compounded tow pig 7.3 with a cgi block. Probably do the p-pump too, but I dont think that is really necessary in a tow application. That being said, some people piss more money away on chit like that and never really use it to its fullest potential.

It's crazy that there are 6.0 hitting that kind of hp. I know it's got a pretty stout bottom and that coupled with a decent volumetric efficiency from the 4 valve head must be a good combo if done right. How is that 6.0 pulling truck that your step daughter/son has holding up?

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score

Are you still thinking about going with an sxe turbo? That would be cool if you did and liked it. It would solidify my decision to go with one when the time comes.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If I was rich I would build a killer compounded tow pig 7.3 with a cgi block. Probably do the p-pump too, but I dont think that is really necessary in a tow application. That being said, some people piss more money away on chit like that and never really use it to its fullest potential.

It's crazy that there are 6.0 hitting that kind of hp. I know it's got a pretty stout bottom and that coupled with a decent volumetric efficiency from the 4 valve head must be a good combo if done right. How is that 6.0 pulling truck that your step daughter/son has holding up?

Its holding up good. He is driving it now as they started building a motor for an 07 cclb that is sitting there. But its got 190/75s, a powermaxx turbo thats modded but still the limiting factor, and its studded and whatnot. Rcd says it should be right around 600 based on what other setups like it are doing. Hes got a s468 and a gt4202 that could be put on. I think the 4202 is waaaay too much. Or he could just leave it since its a street truck. Its tge very truck he got into the high speed chase in last summer. They clocked him at 110 on the one road. And its about 1/3 of a mile from where it starts to where he was at. He outran the cops but then blew one of the tires. And stopped so he didnt wreck the truck. Damn kids.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Are you still thinking about going with an sxe turbo? That would be cool if you did and liked it. It would solidify my decision to go with one when the time comes.

Yes buuuuuut....heres the deal. I have a perfectly good 38r on my truck, i need a trans and paint. So its going to get put back together and then after it gets driven and everything checks out ill do the charger.

Latest posts