Ported Heads

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I'm trying to smooth out my exhaust runners. I'm trying to make them as smooth as possible. Don't think I can do much with the intakes.

basically what i did. You can clean up the bowls of the intake valves, but don't really take too much swirl out, you know what i mean as soon as you look at the intake ports. I *think* i may have took too much swirl out, or the tuning may be slightly off for the cam, its always hazing now. :doh:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Their made that way for a reason so I don't want to screw up the air flow. Was told turbo appilacations make up for some ruff surfaces.

truckpullin_75

Reaction score
4k for porting? Don't see it being cost effective?

Not hatin but other than NOS there isn't a whole heck of a lot that IS cost effective when building a high horsepower 7.3. My built engine made pretty good numbers with ported heads and cam but I don't have any "before" numbers to compare so not much help but it made 538hp/1200tq with 238/100s and a 38r with a stock auto.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Not hatin but other than NOS there isn't a whole heck of a lot that IS cost effective when building a high horsepower 7.3. My built engine made pretty good numbers with ported heads and cam but I don't have any "before" numbers to compare so not much help but it made 538hp/1200tq with 238/100s and a 38r with a stock auto.

I think the issue stems from a lack of support for head work that causes issues.. there is how many shops out there doing it? 10-20??

But everybody and there brother can spec out a turbo to a certain extent. Hence why guys go thru chargers alot.. easy to change and lots of options on the market.

Once someone comes out and really shows the advantages I think it will become a viable option.

Personally I strive to increase the efficiency of my engine. Getting air in and air out faster FTW

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Personally I strive to increase the efficiency of my engine. Getting air in and air out faster FTW

Good motto - getting air in and air out is only part of the efficiency equation - there is a lot that can be done to improve combustion efficiency through proper piston to head clearances, bowl work in the piston, injector setup, etc.... Heads are a great place to start - but see it though all of your endeavors in this motor and it will pay off. I know the first time I left the line with a sled attached at 4500 RPMs in 2007 I had a smile from ear to ear.... I even had a guy that I knew in the crowd come up to me afterwords and tell me that he saw me crack a grin at the 100' mark and knew it was headed for the big end - best feeling ever - and it only got better after that.

Gearhead

Reaction score

TARM

Reaction score
The fact is without doing some piston work there is only so much you can do to the cam profile. I think Matt has does very well with what is available.

The other thing that is an issue with our heads and its real downfall is runner volume. We ain't got any LOL. A intake that could add some more volume should help but those are all going to be single one off custom work as we have seen a few make. Our runners especially the exhaust are just too damn short.

TARM

Reaction score
Yep MAtt @ gearhead. He is a great all around guy and is quite good at this stuff............and Oh My I literally typing this just remembered I was suppose to do something for him and completely forgot about it. IF YOU READ THIS MATT I AM SORRY I will call ya tomorrow and get the OK on some stuff and get it out to you. How is that for recalling something

Matt does some of the very best tuning and from our discussions his cam designs get what is there to get out of the room we have in the 7.3 layout. That is my opinion of course. When ever my engine comes out one of his cams is going in. As it will be a full build I will be running one of the larger lifts with fly cutting for the needed clearance.

golfer

Reaction score
The only shop I know that does it is swamps. They are expensive and there isn't a huge hp gain for the price. Iirc $3500 was the price tag for a pnp, valve job and oversized valves.

FWIW, porting is, and has always been... $1250.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
I was referring to the cost to do a head. I would assume you would do a port, valve job, oversized valves. Decking, ect ect to give the customer the most given there situation.

I was not trying to put you guys on the spot. After rereading my post it does appear that way. Just saying the power gained thru head work is not typically something a non race truck will justify.

Porting prices should run $750-1500 so I'd say you guys are giving a pretty fair price given the amount of reputable 7.3 port shops out there are few and far between.

Latest posts

Members online