Ported intake manifold?

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
the main objective of porting is to eliminate air flow restriction.. now to what degree of porting you go to is got to corrolate to the aplication... if some one isnt porting the intake ports of the heads and doing a cam and all that stuff then a Diesel Doctor manifold is fine.. it gets the main obstructions out of the way and increases air flow as well at lower egts.. perpose served.. and for more serious applications yes the z-max and a few other manifolds would be more suitable. but for a dd this one is great for a person on a tight budget and just because it doesnt cost 1300 and have a RACE teams name on it doesnt mean its not a ported manifold...

01PSD

Reaction score
the main objective of porting is to eliminate air flow restriction.. now to what degree of porting you go to is got to corrolate to the aplication... if some one isnt porting the intake ports of the heads and doing a cam and all that stuff then a Diesel Doctor manifold is fine.. it gets the main obstructions out of the way and increases air flow as well at lower egts.. perpose served.. and for more serious applications yes the z-max and a few other manifolds would be more suitable. but for a dd this one is great for a person on a tight budget and just because it doesnt cost 1300 and have a RACE teams name on it doesnt mean its not a ported manifold...

That's how I see it. Seems like a full out port job isn't necessary unless you're porting the heads as well.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Some of y'all should open up a manifold yourself and see the restriction. The posts are minimal improvement at best.

run a stock manifold, one with the posts removed, than a fully ported.
After you have done that come tell people what they should run.

Having done all 3 myself I know the facts.

Some of y'all talk out of your ass and tell people how to spend money it gets old.

A fully ported manifold will remove the restriction of said manifold and cause the heads to be the next flow restriction. This does not mean you should save a few dollars and get one with just the posts machined out thinking you will receive the same results with stock heads.

The manifold I ran with the bolt posts milled did not perform nearly as well as the manifold that was fully opened. (On stock heads)

For the record neither manifold I tested was built by a sponsor on this site.

Carry on

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Some of y'all should open up a manifold yourself and see the restriction. The posts are minimal improvement at best.

run a stock manifold, one with the posts removed, than a fully ported.
After you have done that come tell people what they should run.

Having done all 3 myself I know the facts.

Some of y'all talk out of your ass and tell people how to spend money it gets old.

A fully ported manifold will remove the restriction of said manifold and cause the heads to be the next flow restriction. This does not mean you should save a few dollars and get one with just the posts machined out thinking you will receive the same results with stock heads.

The manifold I ran with the bolt posts milled did not perform nearly as well as the manifold that was fully opened. (On stock heads)

For the record neither manifold I tested was built by a sponsor on this site.

Carry on

Well said. I agree completely

ford rules

Reaction score
If your gonna spend what 5-6 hundred on a half way done manifold why not just spend a little more and get a manifold worth spending money on.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
If your gonna spend what 5-6 hundred on a half way done manifold why not just spend a little more and get a manifold worth spending money on.
^^^ This is my thought process also. If you're gonna do it, do it once and be done with it. Don't like a half ass job. That would be like changing head gaskets and using the junk factory bolts, and not studs.

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
i have heard countless times from people that even these "Race" ported manifolds dont fit worth a damn because the people doing the work dont know how to keep them from warping.. so its really a complete toss up.. do you spend 3x's as much for a manifold that might fit and possibly be over kill or do you spend a little and still get a noticable gain with much lower chances of having to send it back three or four time until the guys send you one that fits right.. im not going to through any names out but it happens...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
a little more... ha its either spend 550 or 1300... thats more than a little...

Where did $1300 come from? Mine is $1025 and I promise you get everything you pay for. There is a load more to be had in performance with a fully ported manifold than there is with a manifold built with a drill bit.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
i have heard countless times from people that even these "Race" ported manifolds dont fit worth a damn because the people doing the work dont know how to keep them from warping.. so its really a complete toss up.. do you spend 3x's as much for a manifold that might fit and possibly be over kill or do you spend a little and still get a noticable gain with much lower chances of having to send it back three or four time until the guys send you one that fits right.. im not going to through any names out but it happens...

I've never had an Apex with a fitment issue and the elite 6.0 manifolds have never had a fitment issue either. You're going to have to be more specific at who you are calling out.

Just to be clear, the performance gain with a manifold built with a drill bit is next to none. You would need to see the inside of a manifold yourself to understand why that is

Bubba88

Reaction score
^^^ This is my thought process also. If you're gonna do it, do it once and be done with it. Don't like a half ass job. That would be like changing head gaskets and using the junk factory bolts, and not studs.

or not resurfacing the heads. Just slappin in a couple gaskets, throw in some studs and call it done..

I'll be getting an Apex when the funds are ready. Hoping to have it in by November.

there are other shops coming out with manifolds now but when i was shopping around the opptions were very minimal..

you must be set on getting that 1/2 way done manifold. That's fine. That is your choice. If you compared the added benefits of a full ported manifold (ex. Apex $1050) then I'm sure you might change your perspective. I'm saving up for the Apex because I don't want to waste half of my money on a manifold that doesn't even come close. I don't know if you've taken a manifold out or not before, but I want to do it once and do it right. At least you'll have the piece of mind knowing that the intake manifold is completely off the checklist of things to do.

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
last time i checked both the gogo and z-max were 1300.00

Nope. Elites is $1100 and mine is $1025.

I'd like you to clarify who you are calling out about having manifolds that don't fit 3-4 times from not knowing what they are doing. Like I said, I've never had an Apex not fit and neither has Elite as far as I know

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
my thing is.. if i get my manifold and it doesnt perform well enough, fine then ill take it out and machine the rest out myself.. no big deal.. ill still be 500 ahead..

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
i was informed by a shop that they had recieved maanifold for customers that did not fit properly.. they did not have a manifold of their own or anything so they would have no reason to lie or bad mouth anybody unless they just didnt fit.. and the guy seemed frustrated because he had to send more than one back.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
my thing is.. if i get my manifold and it doesnt perform well enough, fine then ill take it out and machine the rest out myself.. no big deal.. ill still be 500 ahead..

You will? After you have already paid somebody for something that doesn't work as well as you claim you think you'll be money ahead to pay a machinist to cut it apart, mill it, then weld it back together? I'd be highly surprised.

Look, nobody is saying you can't buy and use what you want. What you shouldn't be doing is trying to compare one product that doesn't work to another that does based solely off price. Most of these guys here are wanting the best bang for the buck and I promise I give them that every time a manifold leaves my hands. You can't argue that. Just like you can't say mine costs $1300 and it doesn't fit. If you have a legitimate beef, I'm all ears. If its based off price, I think you've said enough because Price doesn't dictate function and performance.

Latest posts

Members online