Possible broken injector tip

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Just want to let you guys know we only have a few phone lines and just so many hands to man them. We can not at this time answer every time the phone rings. We do our best to get back to every message that is left. We can not predict and we do not return calls from #'s that do not leave messages. That is a policy that I made years ago. Simply call one time and leave a CLEAR message and we will be sure to get back to you. That said if you do not receive a call back and DID leave a message some thing has gone wrong. We frequently get messages were we simply can not make out what is being said and or the number that has been left. We have numerous messages everyday. Another option is to pm use or even better send an email. It is actually much quicker us to reply to a question you may have through email. On average we can handle 6 emails or more replies to one phone call.

Feel free to email us at [email protected]

On a side note I am currently doing some upgrades to the phone system to hopefully help with some of these issues.

Thank you all for your patience!!

TARM

Reaction score
It's almost always an defect from the many of the nozzle. I had a 200% do the same thing. First it started out as the slightest of a feeling at idle then a day later pop. It covered a 4 lane highway is raw fuel smoke. Nate insisted on changing all 8 as he w@wanted to insure it was not a defective lot but then mine only had maybe 1k on them. Maybe it's difficult with ones with lots of miles.

Reaction score
It's almost always an defect from the many of the nozzle. I had a 200% do the same thing. First it started out as the slightest of a feeling at idle then a day later pop. It covered a 4 lane highway is raw fuel smoke. Nate insisted on changing all 8 as he w@wanted to insure it was not a defective lot but then mine only had maybe 1k on them. Maybe it's difficult with ones with lots of miles.

Long time no see Tarm. That's exactly my symptoms were, I noticed a rougher than normal idle just a few days before this happened. That's why I changed my oil hoping that's what the issue was with the idle and slight white smoke upon start up, although the oil change helped.

You literally couldn't see through the intersection I went through too, there was so much white smoke.

superpsd

Reaction score
Sucks. Maybe apply a vaccum to the cylinder or go fishing with a magnet to extract any debris

Reaction score
Sucks. Maybe apply a vaccum to the cylinder or go fishing with a magnet to extract any debris

This is my biggest concern right now. I hoping it just went out of the exhaust valve. I ran it approx 30 seconds or so to get across the Intersecton and off the road.

m j

Reaction score
do your best to find it.
if it is on the seat when the valve tries to close it can break the valve.

Reaction score
do your best to find it.
if it is on the seat when the valve tries to close it can break the valve.

Any suggestions on how? All I really see is using the glow plug hole or through the injector cup, both of which are pretty small to work through.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Just want to let you guys know we only have a few phone lines and just so many hands to man them. We can not at this time answer every time the phone rings. We do our best to get back to every message that is left. We can not predict and we do not return calls from #'s that do not leave messages. That is a policy that I made years ago. Simply call one time and leave a CLEAR message and we will be sure to get back to you. That said if you do not receive a call back and DID leave a message some thing has gone wrong. We frequently get messages were we simply can not make out what is being said and or the number that has been left. We have numerous messages everyday. Another option is to pm use or even better send an email. It is actually much quicker us to reply to a question you may have through email. On average we can handle 6 emails or more replies to one phone call.

Feel free to email us at [email protected]

On a side note I am currently doing some upgrades to the phone system to hopefully help with some of these issues.

Thank you all for your patience!!
Left a message and called a couple other times through the week. I'll shoot you an email. Thanks

psduser1

Reaction score
This is my biggest concern right now. I hoping it just went out of the exhaust valve. I ran it approx 30 seconds or so to get across the Intersecton and off the road.

If you drove it thru the intersection, the piece is probably gone. Drove mine about two miles after the tip came apart-gently-with no apparent ill effect. Put another 10k on it since, without problem.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about it. If you eant to take a look go for it. I dint think id tear **** apart to find it. Kinda like people freaking out over shaving when they drill their pyro....

mandkole

Reaction score
^^ yup-- then add upwards of 15-18K psi behind the nozzle wanting to move that material somewhere else. With as many guys who are using 200s and more on street applications, surprised it doesn't happen more often. This is the #1 reason for me why its not worth the risk to go to bigger nozzles on a street truck.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I've got a question here. Why when a 6.0 nozzle breaks, fuel pressure is blamed immediatley, but on a 7.3, it isnt? I've never taken a heui injector apart, but have a half ass idea of what goes on inside of one. Just don't understand why if pressurized fuel is the "cushion" for the needle in the injector on a 6.0, is it not on a 7.3?

m j

Reaction score
a bigger nozzle reduces the pressure.
even in the old Cummins 855 PT systems you increase nozzle size to save the injector pushtubes from destruction when jammin more fuel in

ghohouston

Reaction score
a bigger nozzle reduces the pressure.
even in the old Cummins 855 PT systems you increase nozzle size to save the injector pushtubes from destruction when jammin more fuel in

I see. I just didn't think the larger nozzles were enough to make a dangerous pressure drop. I mean plenty of us have gotten away with larger nozzles on a dd truck without issue. I definitely did for over a year. I suppose it all boils down to pure luck, a healthy fuel system, and quality of nozzles.

mandkole

Reaction score
Agree on the nozzle quality.

Does the pintle tip in closed position make contact with the backside of the nozzle to seal, or is the seal made at the base of the pintle? If so, in a given unit of time, a shorter injection event could allow for openings/closings and stress. Ive also thought of this as opportunities for additional stress on larger nozzles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.