Possible to remove pas. side up pipe without pulling turbo?

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I want to pull my passenger side up pipe and replace it with a up pipe I got off an 04' that doesn't have the scoop into the EGR cooler. Can I remove the up pipe without pulling the turbo and going thru all that. I just ordered a new exhaust so I'll have the down pipe off and outta the way. Just curious because I don't have place to do all the work. It'll be done in my driveway. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Wright337

Reaction score
You should be able to get to the top 2 bolts on the up pipe from the underside of the truck with a long extension. I dont see it being a problem. Maybe a pain, but it is possible.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Something on this truck a pain.... I'll never believe it!LOL:fustrate:LOL
I just printed off a 6 page PDF on how to remove and reinstall the turbo. Never done it on this truck and being without a shop to work on it in, in the winter, has me a little leary.

Wright337

Reaction score
Taking the turbo off is a piece of cake. I have had mine off several times and now I can have it off in about 20 min at the most. Just undo the intake pipe, and the pressure side tube, both of the clamps, one for the down pipe and one for the up pipes. Then you have the oil tube up front, 8mm bolt, and the wire up front. There are 3 bolts that hold it to the pedistal, 12mm 12 point socket. Make sure its a 12 point socket. The two bolts on the front side are easy to find and there is one on the back side that you will have to feel for. You can use a short extension for that one. Once you get those out, carefully pick up on the turbo and wiggle it out from under the hood. You dont have to pull the alt. or anything else. Its a tight fit but it will come out.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Turbo takes 45-60 minutes tops, its super easy. And you can get that up pipe outta there no issues, just use a long extension.
So it can come out without removing the turbo? I have the tools, just not the facility. Can't even fit the truck in my garage.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Taking the turbo off is a piece of cake. I have had mine off several times and now I can have it off in about 20 min at the most. Just undo the intake pipe, and the pressure side tube, both of the clamps, one for the down pipe and one for the up pipes. Then you have the oil tube up front, 8mm bolt, and the wire up front. There are 3 bolts that hold it to the pedistal, 12mm 12 point socket. Make sure its a 12 point socket. The two bolts on the front side are easy to find and there is one on the back side that you will have to feel for. You can use a short extension for that one. Once you get those out, carefully pick up on the turbo and wiggle it out from under the hood. You dont have to pull the alt. or anything else. Its a tight fit but it will come out.
I know if I end up pulling the turbo I have to replace all the o-rings, but are there any exhaust gaskets to replace? Sounds like you have pulling the turbo down to a science to get it out in 20 minutes, especially when your truck is up on 37's. Did you ever get those coolant test strips? I've lost track of em'. Garret was the last person I knew that had em'.

Wright337

Reaction score
If you do end up pulling the turbo get the updated oil drain tube. 6C3Z-9T515-A Their are not ext. gaskets. When he got the strips I had my truck tore apart fixing a high pressure leak so I never got to use them. Not sure who has them now though. If you need help over the phone when you start doing the work just shoot me a pm and I will give you my #. If I was closer I would be more than glad to come help. I will be up that way around christmas if you need help. Just let me know.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
If you do end up pulling the turbo get the updated oil drain tube. 6C3Z-9T515-A Their are not ext. gaskets. When he got the strips I had my truck tore apart fixing a high pressure leak so I never got to use them. Not sure who has them now though. If you need help over the phone when you start doing the work just shoot me a pm and I will give you my #. If I was closer I would be more than glad to come help. I will be up that way around christmas if you need help. Just let me know.

I appreciate the offer. I plan on changing out the supply and drain when I pull the turbo. I just don't want to do it in the winter without a place to pull it in, you know what I mean?

Wright337

Reaction score
New gaskets for what? The only things that has anything is the oil drain tube, which is the orings. But if you get the updated tube it will have new orings on both ends. The up pipe will have a metal gasket on the top that will need to be replaced also. So if the up pipe is used you will need to get one from ford. That is the only things you should need.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I just assumed the up pipe had some sort of gaskets on the top and the bottom where it bolts up. Like I said, I have never done this before.

Wright337

Reaction score
The top has the metal gasket. The bottom is a cupped pipe that fits to the exh. manifold which has the round type end. So when you bolt the two together it makes the seal.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
just found my uppipe leak in the same spot yesterday. i'm getting a new set made this week and I'll be tearing into mine as well.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Well I got the up pipe out. All the bolts were seized up except one. I broke one bolt and one 1/4"x2" extension. I planned on getting new bolts anyhow. What do you guys think about me reusing the metal gasket on the top? Don't know if I'll have time tomorrow to get a new one and I need this thing running this weekend if possible.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Haha I worked on mine today too. My buddy (ford mech) said that gasket is reuseable. Those pipes are a bitch to get back in!

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Well the EGR hole got welded up and the up pipe reinstalled today. I have to say, the up pipe went back in soooooo easy. It was scary easy. I went by TSC and picked up some new bolts and anti-seize then came home and literally within' 20 minutes it was in. I didn't get the whole exhaust installed today,(had to get my son from grandma's) but I did put the DP and mid pipe on so I could check for exhaust leaks. Cranked it up and no leaks. Wish I would've done this a while ago. Still can't wait to hear the entire system installed and see my temps. Also really curious about the spool up. Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online