Potential PCM Issues

TyCorr

Reaction score
So you don't think a 12 psi differential is high for 22 pounds of boost on a stock turbo? I'm having him pull the fuel filter to see if there is any oil in it. Unfortunately I cant monitor perdels only cylinder contribution. I guess I can see an AE in my future.

12psi differential of what?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Back pressure is 12 psi higher than boost pressure. I would think it would be closer to 1:1 at 22 psi boost even on a stock turbo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
It almost sounds like it's just in high idle with ebpv closed. Need to get mine to come on in the morning a see if it sounds similar.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Back pressure is 12 psi higher than boost pressure. I would think it would be closer to 1:1 at 22 psi boost even on a stock turbo.

How are you measuring this?

ja_cain

Reaction score
Using Torque App and looking at map sensor and ebp sensor readings. Ebp is output in absolute pressure, so I subtract ~1 atmo (14.1 psi to be exact) to get gauge pressure. Boost measurement is already displayed in gauge presure. I meant to video the readouts on my phone, but did not have enough time to get my chit together. It does have a data log function but haven't really used it. Maybe I'll data log my truck this morning so I can familiarize my self with the procedure.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
I wish Car Gauge Pro did perdels, then it would be complete. I don't know if it's worth it to purchase AE just for the perdel function. It would be nice to see realtime velocity numbers. What do you guys think?

mandkole

Reaction score
truck was fully warm? EBPV should be wide open. Barking seems abnormal with that little load, but my stocker experience is only with the OBS. Id agree that significant back pressure at only 22 boost also seems out of normal, but it gets this feedback from the sensor on the manifold tube. tube is clear?

ja_cain

Reaction score
truck was fully warm? EBPV should be wide open. Barking seems abnormal with that little load, but my stocker experience is only with the OBS. Id agree that significant back pressure at only 22 boost also seems out of normal, but it gets this feedback from the sensor on the manifold tube. tube is clear?
When we were here we talked about having him do that. He said that he has seen some videos on YouTube and was going to try and do it this weekend. I just told him to get some trimmer line, brake cleaner and a drill.

I need to do mine also. My sensor reads 17 psi before startup when means it it showing ~2.5 psi residual above atmospheric pressure. I suspect my leaky up-pipes are facilitating a lot of this due to poor spool up and incomplete burn. I have new bellowed pipes and ******d pedestal for mine. Just need to nock it out one of these weekends.

I am going to look into the AE a little further. If it significantly more helpful than the apps I'm using on my phone I may go ahead and buy it.

Jomax

Reaction score
When we were here we talked about having him do that. He said that he has seen some videos on YouTube and was going to try and do it this weekend. I just told him to get some trimmer line, brake cleaner and a drill.

I need to do mine also. My sensor reads 17 psi before startup when means it it showing ~2.5 psi residual above atmospheric pressure. I suspect my leaky up-pipes are facilitating a lot of this due to poor spool up and incomplete burn. I have new bellowed pipes and ******d pedestal for mine. Just need to nock it out one of these weekends.

I am going to look into the AE a little further. If it significantly more helpful than the apps I'm using on my phone I may go ahead and buy it.

You ca adjust tire sizes aswell with AE. Did you ever check of your valve in the same position on your truck vs his?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
You ca adjust tire sizes aswell with AE. Did you ever check of your valve in the same position on your truck vs his?

Yesterday was so crazy, I just couldn't get it together to remember to do it. I'm going to drive the truck to the football game today and I'll check it when I get there.

Jomax

Reaction score
Just looked at mine. Your pic seems to be more turned towards the right

ja_cain

Reaction score
Went to go drive the truck to the game so I could check the position of the valve, and batteries chit the bed. I knew they were going but I thought I would be OK for a little bit longer. It got a little bit cold last night and that probably did them in. I had ordered some bats from my buddies source and they will be in tues. Interstate Megatron at $30 bucks a piece. Can't beat that. Got the old batts on the battery tender now. Will try the the truck in the morning to verify the location.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I looked at a bunch of pics online and it looks to be open. I have yet to find one from the angle that I took the pic at though. I'm thinking either his turbo is going or the ebp sensor/tube is problematic. Hopefully he was able to clean it out this weekend.

ja_cain

Reaction score
So, looks like Ty may have been on to something with it being an injector issue. The funny thing was I ran a CCT a little while back and only injector 8 failed. I chocked it up to being a gray cps thing at the time. The shop he took it to is saying there are issues with multiple injectors. He said something about plungers being the issue. I told him that he needs to check fuel pressure and definitely get a gauge installed as a low fuel pressure issue can cause metal to metal contact with the plungers and barrels without adequate fuel pressure. I also asked him to get pics of the injector internals to so I can post them to this thread. He told me that the injectors were also split shots (180/100's). That is strange that someone would build an injector like that since they would be more oil hungry, but what do I know. He is switching to Swamps 175/146's (stock nozzle). Will definitely be more mild than his previous setup, but the stock turbo will most like be happier until he can get a 38r. The hpop will also be much happier too! Will update the thread with any other info that I receive. Thanks again everyone for all of the input/help. BTW, I am just glad that I saved him from wasting $600 on a new PCM.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You night do yourself well to make a list. And if they are splitshots id check the idle with the chip unplugged. The stock calibration is split shot code so it will idle fine. And it should be totally driveable. Just something to consider.

Anyone who would build a 180cc splitshot might not be on the cutting edge of quality anyway.

You might be in for a ride with this truck.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I had him try it that way and I think he said it didn't really make a difference. He didn't know that he had splits at the time. I'm just a little worried that this shop may be taking him for a ride. That's why I asked him to get me some pics of the internals of the injectors. The 180's were supposedly from a well known vendor on here. They should have been covered under warranty too, as I think it was within the warranty period. He didn't say whether they were covered though, maybe they didn't fail due to manufacturing defects. He told me he got rid of the TS chip too, but I don't know what hardware he has replaced it with yet. I told him to get a hydra if he replaced the TS chip. I think he was looking at some kind of monitoring device though (DP Tuner?).

TyCorr

Reaction score
Nobody has sold modded splits for 7 or 8 years. And it was mildly retarded at that point even.

Ive seen a few places with ad's that have a 30 or 80% nozzle but thats slightly different.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.