Power steering getting stiffer

Lick Dicker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My power steering has been getting stiff lately, I flushed it with Mobil1 ATF last year, and things didn't seem to change and stayed about the same stiffness (too stiff but not bad) for a year, yesterday things got stiffer on me, is this a pump issue, or a steering box issue? I haven't checked the fluid level yet, I will report back on that shortly.

Tom S

Reaction score
An easy one. Are the front tires low. My experience is Ford pumps get weak with time and are minimal to begin with without enough RPM.

ezzyke

Reaction score
I put a steering box in a good friends 99 ccsb 4x4 a year ago. His was getting really stiff at low rpm and then one day the shaft broke where the pitman arm attached. After we replaced the box it steers easily now hasn't had any stiff steering since.

Lick Dicker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I first noticed going ~60 compression braking down hill wound to 2.5k with a solid amount of touge weight. That being the case I dont think I could give it an easyer chance of making the tires easy to turn. I checked the fluid I replaced in it last year, it smells a little burnt and there were some little shavings on the dipstick, they looked like brass?

Is there a way to rebuild the pump of steering box?

ezzyke

Reaction score
I know you can rebuild a steering box because I have done it before. With that said it was a pain in the A$$! It's not overcomplicated and the parts are cheap but I didn't enjoy it at all. I got the one for the truck I did from advanve Auto. It was under 200 dollars and took an hour or so to do. I do get a commercial discout though.

stackedstroker

Reaction score
How are your balljoints?
I've done several sets of wore out ball joints that once it was put back together it helped the steering tremendously.

Just something to look into before getting a new pump.

Gootee

Reaction score
I battled this problem forever. I replaced everything. Started with the pump an burnt it out so replaced it again. Replaced the box and lines and it was solved

Latest posts

Members online