power steering issue help pls

what a mess

Reaction score
ok guys my truck was down for 6 months and about 3 months ago I started it up tried some things and at that time I had power steering and now I have none so I jacked the truck up both front tires off the ground and I can move the tires freely with my hands so then I check the steering wheel it moves freely also so then I started the truck tires off the ground still power steering works fine then I put a little pressure on the tires and it still worked fine but when I put it all the way down it works a little in the strait and barely turned but when trying to turn in all the way either way it get very very hard to turn and it seems like it gets worse the more I try to turn it back and forth and help would be awesome because it will get expensive throwing money at these parts any ideas advise would be awesome thank you

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It got fluid in it? Hoses are pretty common to leak. If it is full try revving it to 3000 rpm and see if it works when sitting in park. If it does, its the pump, if not there is more we'll have to look at.

florida 6.0

Reaction score
All I can think of is you have a clogged or collapsed line . Can you see the fluid circulating in the reservoir ? Is it whining when you turn the wheel like it is being forced ? If it was a newer box I'd almost say someone tried to adjust it and went to far .

what a mess

Reaction score
it whines a little but not all the time its the original steering box but trucks only got 120k on it nothing was done to the front end except wheel bearing but after they where done it had power steering would a like collapse just sitting?

florida 6.0

Reaction score
I have seen all kinds of things happen from a truck sitting a while . Take one end of each off and see if its getting fluid , returning fluid .

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I doubt it would be the hydroboost unless its leaking, which you said the reservoir is full. More than limely its the pump. Did revving it to 3000 fix it?

what a mess

Reaction score
it was the pump I also replaced the 1 power steering line that I hadn't replaced and I found some metal shavings where the like do line went to the gearbox so we put a filter in the system so that I can check and clean it

Latest posts

Members online