Power Steering Leak

Spectre32

Reaction score
I come out to see a small puddle of fluid under the truck(08 F250). I thought it was oil and then I didn't notice it again. The truck sat again and there is a much smaller puddle. Upon investigation I see its coming from the steering gear. Looks like it is leaking from were the pitman arm connects to it. A quick search through the interweb shows they make a seal kit for this. I don't have a press, but I can get access to one. Has anyone done this or would this be a fine time to upgrade to a red head steering gear?

Gary

Reaction score
When the sector shaft seal leaks usually that means the shaft is rusty and tore up the seal. I haven't done any of the newer steering gears but on the older trucks I always replace the sector shaft along with the seals.
If you want to try and replace the seal you don't use a press on this job, you can get the seal out by removing the pitman arm and the snap ring that holds the seal in, start the truck, raise the RPM and turn the steering wheel till it hit the stop, that will spike the pressure and push the old seal out.

Spectre32

Reaction score
For what it is worth, i replaced the steering gear with a used one I found on PSA. I got a new pitman arm with this one so I didn't need to pull my old one off, but I had already purchased the tools to do it, so I did it anyways just to see if i could with my current tools and everything was OK. For anyone else trying this, you need 18mm Line Wrenches/crowsfeet. The pitman arm nut is 1 13/16". I used a snap-on CJ86 puller to put the arm from old gear box and that worked fine. The draglink to pitman arm nut is a 24mm. I used shallow impacts(13mm to 24mm) for mostly everything but if you pulled the wheel off you could have gotten by with deep. I have a Milwaukee Fuel 18V 1/2" Friction Ring Cordless Impact and this was the first workout I gave it. No problems what so ever, I liked it better than the demo snapon I had, plus all of my normal power tools are Milwaukee so that is one less set of batteries and chargers I need.

I have the old box and I might fix it or I might just keep it for a core..not sure, another post for another day.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.