Power steering pump issue

superduty4x4

Reaction score
What would cause the pump to blow all the fluid out the cap? I've tried 2 different pumps now, I haven't seen any kinks/bends in the hoses nor collapsed hoses. First pump let go so I figured it was bad, swapped it out with a good spare and drove ~200 miles before it started doing the same thing.

96F350KID

Reaction score
What would cause the pump to blow all the fluid out the cap? I've tried 2 different pumps now, I haven't seen any kinks/bends in the hoses nor collapsed hoses. First pump let go so I figured it was bad, swapped it out with a good spare and drove ~200 miles before it started doing the same thing.

The best way to get all the air out is to let it sit overnight! That sounds like what you have going on is just air bubbles. It doesn't do it while it runs just when you turn it off right?

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Air in the system. Is the fluid foaming?

I don't think so. By the time I get under the hood to check though the res is basically empty because all the fluid has been blown out.

Does it blow fluid out when running or when you shut it off

When running. By the time I shut 'er down there's nothing left!

So, first time it happened was completely out of the blue, I was coming home with my parts truck on the trailer and a few miles from home I noticed that it took quite a bit more effort to turn. Got home and there was fluid all over the driver's side of the frame, axle, etc and the pump was basically empty.
Swapped pumps, filled up and started the truck up, power steering worked fine. Turned the wheel back and forth a couple times, shut it down and topped off. The next morning I fired it up, drove 200 miles or so with no issues, then it puked the fluid out. Ever since then it won't hold any fluid.

96F350KID

Reaction score
The Saginaw pumps on GM and Dodge trucks do that when you have A LOT of air. Does it look like a strawberry milkshake on the frame? Or is it just fluid?

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Is your steering or brake pedal hard, i've had steering boxes cuz the same issues.
Brakes are fine, steering is hard as phuck because there's no damn fluid in the pump! lol but when there is fluid it works fine.

This weekend I'm hoping to put the front end on jack stands, fill the pump and turn the wheels back and forth to hopefully burp all the air out and see what happens.

Tinman23

Reaction score
Brakes are fine, steering is hard as phuck because there's no damn fluid in the pump! lol but when there is fluid it works fine.

This weekend I'm hoping to put the front end on jack stands, fill the pump and turn the wheels back and forth to hopefully burp all the air out and see what happens.

Bringing this one back up... Did you ever find out what was causing the fluid to puke everywhere? I'm having the same deal happen with my 96...but have only had the truck about 6 months, & haven't driven it much.

Thanks for any info...if you ever found anything out. LOL

Reaction score
The only time I've had that happen as when the truck was jacked up and I turned the wheels without the engine running. I don't know why that would happen, but just my experience. Cheers!

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Bringing this one back up... Did you ever find out what was causing the fluid to puke everywhere? I'm having the same deal happen with my 96...but have only had the truck about 6 months, & haven't driven it much.

Thanks for any info...if you ever found anything out. LOL
Forgot to update this one! I put the truck up on jack stands and re-filled the pump, then wrapped a clean white rag around all the fittings in the PS system. Turns out I had a very slow leak where the pressure line connects to the PS reservoir... the only reason I can think for the continual puking of fluid was the res would leak down enough to allow an air bubble to form, and when the pump tried to compress the air bubble it pressurized the phuck out of the system and blew all the fluid out. I swapped the pressure line, refilled, and have had no issues since.

Latest posts

Members online