Power Steering Pump or Sensor?

JMart

Reaction score
I have a random weird issue with the steering in my truck. It happens more often when the truck is cold and usually on sharp turns at a speed. In other words If I leave my apartment in the morning I can drive through the complex and be fine until I pull out on to the street and make either a left or a right. Once I have completed my turn the truck tries to oversteer and continue turning. The wheel does not always return to center, I have to turn in back to center and I can still feel it trying to turn back. I usually make a left when I come out of the apartments so I have to pull the truck back to the left since it is going towards the right side of the road. Once I get it to decide to go straight it starts pulling a little towards the left. Then I adjust the wheel and it starts pulling just a tiny bit back to the right. Today it went back and forth on me several times. Once I get this thing out on the road and moving I don't feel the problem any more. It really feels like the switch is not communicating with the steering wheel fast enough.

Does this seem like a pump issue or could the pressure sensor switch cause something like this to happen? I don't have any problems turning the wheel at low speeds or hear any whine from the pump.

Tie rods and ball joints all look good, even tire wear all around. Plenty of clean fluid in the reservoir.

Anybody experienced anything like this?

JMart

Reaction score
Well I am going to order that sensor and hope thats the problem. Should get it installed sometime next week.

mart

Reaction score
Hey I know it has been a long time since this topic was up but I'm having the same problems with my truck. What ended up being the problem?

Zmann

Reaction score
What switch was He talking about that communicates with the steering wheel ?

sounds like a Bad gear with an internal leak but they don't normally clean up going faster

JMart

Reaction score
Hey I know it has been a long time since this topic was up but I'm having the same problems with my truck. What ended up being the problem?

I don't know yet. Havent had the time to mess with it.

Dantheman

Reaction score
This sounds like an issue in the gear box. I dont know about a sensor in the power steering system. Have you adjusted the slack in the box before? There is a valve in the upper part of the box that diverts the hydraulic pressure one way or the other depending on which way the steering wheel is turned and it could have an issue. If you have adjusted it it could be too tight.

Latest posts

Members online